Why is your library important to you? What makes the library special to you and your family? This year’s National Library Week campaign is “Libraries Transform” and this is your chance to share your library story with us.
Tell us what makes your library special and how it enriches your life. Up to five stories will be featured on the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library website during National Library Week, April 10-16, and you could be chosen as a librarian for a day. Imagine being a Kid’s librarian sharing a book at storytime or being on “team Alice” or “team Sherlock” while shadowing a bookmobile librarian. Selected winners will have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes look at what it takes to provide essential services to our community.
- Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on March 29, by submitting your story (500 word limit). Stories will be judged on originality, clarity of ideas and expression.
- You can submit your story online (below), by email (email@example.com) or mail to Diana Friend, Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, 1515 SW 10th Ave., Topeka 66604.
- Enter to be selected as a Librarian for a Day. Winners will be transformed into a librarian and experience how the library really works. Plan on a 3-4-hour “day”. Librarians for a Day will also receive a book bag and other treats.
- You may submit only one entry.
- Entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Story will be evaluated by a team of library staff and judging will be completed on or before April 5. Winners will be notified by mail or email.
- The essay must be the entrant’s own original work, the subject matter must be true and the essay may not have been published previously.
- Submission of an entry grants the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library the exclusive right to publish, edit and/or copy the entry for any and all purposes in any media including but not limited to print and digital media.
- This contest is open to Shawnee County residents. Library employees and their family members are not eligible to participate.
- The winners must agree to be photographed and consent to the use of their names and photographs in connection with the library.