Celebrate the milestone of kindergarteners learning to read and give them tools to continue practicing. Work with your Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library to present our community’s newest readers with their very own library card.
This special card will function exactly like a standard library card. The only difference will be appearance (a kid-friendly design) and a couple gifts.
When kindergartners receive their I READ library card they will also receive:
- a library card wallet to encourage independent, responsible safe-keeping of their card
- an emergent reader paperback as a gift that adds a book to their home to help create a reading culture
- a tasty treat to add to the celebration
All items will be distributed in person by staff and volunteers at a date that is set by the school and library.
Why new library cards for kindergartners?
- More access to books to practice reading skills.
- Students who cannot use their card due to fees will receive a one-time fresh start.
- Students who have had a card since infancy get the thrill of writing their own signature on their new card.
- The library is in your neighborhood – our bookmobiles have 20 stops throughout the city and county!