If sun and fun on the beach is what you crave, check out this list from Student Travel Services. STS is a travel agency specifically for students founded by two Cornell University graduates that has served over 300,000 students since 1984. Their top five beach destinations include:
- Negril, Jamaica – first discovered by American hippies in the 1960’s
- Nassau, Bahamas – 700 islands and miles of white sand beaches
- Cancun, Mexico – the #1 all-time top Spring Break destination
- Panama City, Florida – 27+ miles of award-winning beaches
- Montego Bay, Jamaica – one of the most popular Spring Break destinations
Student City is another travel company that specializes in Spring Break trips and the company that MTV chooses as their on-site production partner for spring break activities and concerts. They recommend all of the above destinations and more. Here’s some of their featured destinations:
- Puerta Vallarta, Mexico – one of the most luxurious Spring Break party destinations
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – one of the best kept secrets in the Caribbean
- Las Vegas – no beaches, but hey…it’s Las Vegas
- South Padre Island, Texas – one of the best U.S. destinations
- Daytona Beach, Florida – sun and fun in the surf without breaking the bank
If beach parties and loads of people aren’t something you look forward to, try one of the 9 Best Alternative Spring Break Destinations from U.S. New & World Report Travel. Their first pick is New Orleans which, besides being able to show visitors a rocking good time, is also still in need of volunteers to help with clean-up from Hurricane Katrina.
Other alternatives are Puerto Rico which, though it’s starting to become a popular SB destination, offers a unique cultural experience, and in mainland U.S. Destin, Florida and Austin, Texas.
For more information, check out these titles from your library:
The Bahamas, a Lonely Planet Guide Book – 917.296 MAT
Fodor’s Bahamas 2012 – 917.296 FOD
Frommer’s Bahamas 2011 – 917.296 POR
Frommer’s Jamaica – 917.292 POR
Jamaica – a Destination Travel Guide DVD – 917.292 JAM
Fodor’s 2011 Cancun, Cozumel & the Yucatan Peninsula – 917.267 FOD
Fodor’s 2012 New Orleans – 917.6335 FOD
And many others.