Check out some of my favorite websites to help you learn life and job skills – using a computer, reading, preparing for tests, managing your money, filling out job applications and more.
- Tame your mouse with mousercise – a website that helps you practice using a mouse. The library also offers regular Taming Your Mouse classes if you would like an in-person option. If you’re ready to learn more computer skills check out our DigitalLearn courses.
- Practice reading skills at a Marshall Education site with many short reading passages that range from a low level to a higher level of reading. For each passage, there is also an option to listen as you read. Adults and children can improve their reading speed and comprehension with these practice passages.
- Learn more about current events while your practicing reading skills with videos on Learning English from Voice of America. Short videos on current news topics are captioned and the words are read to the viewer slowly.
- Take free online Kansas DMV practice tests for regular driving, motorcycles and CDL. The site includes a link to the Kansas Driver’s Handbook, Motorcycle Handbook and CDL Handbook.
- The everyday life section of courses from the the GCFLearnFree.org explains things like how to read a bus map, how to use food labels and how to fill out a job application.
- Use your library card to open a free account on Learning Express. It has basic education courses on reading, math, science, geography and a course on practicing for the citizenship exam. Learning Express can also help you prepare for educational and occupational tests with courses for GED, ACT, GRE, nursing, the postal service, ASVAB for the military, PRAXIS and other teaching exams, electrician, plumbing, cosmetology and more. There’s so much good stuff in it that I can’t list it all. It’s always available from our website so there’s no waiting for a test prep book to be available.
- Fill out this practice job application from the Stratford Library to prepare yourself for the real thing.
- I love saving money! These educational and interactive videos from Dollar General teach you how to save money, budget and manage your finances.
- I learned the science behind microwaves in one of the education videos posted on TV411. This site is full of short videos about reading, math, science, vocabulary, writing and managing your finances. Some of the videos are also in Spanish.