Being a genre reader doesn’t make you a bad reader. You know what you like and you tend to stick with that type of book. Maybe you only read sci-fi or mysteries. Or maybe you avoid fantasy.
Do the genre stickers on the spines of books help or hinder? Do they stop you from reading something you might otherwise pick-up?
Not all books fit neatly into one specific genre. Sometimes the only way you discover books out of your genre you may like is by talking books with others.
Genres are powerful. Sometimes authors have difficulty breaking out of their pegged genre and must use other names to publish in a different genre. Take Nora Roberts/JD Robb for example.
Find the books mentioned in this podcast:
The next episode of The Bookmark drops March 29!
- Bookmark Podcast: Selecting Books Based Just on the Book Blurb
- Bookmark Podcast: Find Amazing Books – We’re Free Associating!
- Bookmark Podcast: You Might Miss Remarkable Reads If You Stick To One Genre
- Bookmark Podcast: The Greatest Reading Recommendations from Our Teens
- S2 E26: Books That Fell Flat
Meet your Hosts
Autumn Friedli, Chris Blocker and Miranda Ericsson relish talking books with recurring readers and special guests from the library and community in The Bookmark.
Thanks for listening! We love to hear from listeners.