People often come into the Baker Genealogy Center to print a family tree chart. Luckily, there are different ways to print your family tree from the library. The process starts with knowing what kinds of products are available to create and print your family tree.
Tips & tricks to create & print your family tree
- View this list of personal genealogy software that allows you to download your GEDCom (Genealogical Data Communications) file, which includes your family tree data. Most programs will allow you to print a copy of your family tree.
- Here are a few third-party software programs created specifically for printing your family tree.
- Charting Companion allows you to print from online sources, including Ancestry and FamilySearch.
- Family ChartMastersallows you to print your family tree in all sorts of decorative charts for a fee.
- Also watch the tutorial How to Print a Family Tree Poster to Enjoy and Share. The video helps guide you on how to print your family chart and gives even more helpful sources.
- Elizabeth Swanay O’Neal from Heart of the Family also has a website to help you Download Your Ancestry Family Tree in 4 Easy Steps! Her instructions are listed below.
Step 1: Select “Create & Manage Trees” from the TREES menu.
This option is found at the bottom of the drop-down menu. Depending on how many trees you have, you may need to scroll down a bit.
Step 2: Locate the tree you wish to download and click “Manage Tree.”
This can be found under the “Tools” heading on the far right. If you don’t see this option, check to make sure you are on the “My Trees” tab instead of “Trees Shared with Me,” as you cannot download a tree created by another user.
Step 3: Click the “Export Tree” button.
On the “Tree Info” tab, click the green “Export tree” button to compile your tree into a downloadable GEDCOM. Be patient, as this may take a few minutes, especially if you have a very large tree.
Step 4: Click the “Download Your GEDCOM File” button.
When your GEDCOM is finished compiling, click the green “Download Your GEDCOM File” button. This will open a window allowing you to select a place for the downloaded file. You are now ready to print your family tree in the program of your choice!
Explore our wide variety of genealogy books for more information.