During tax season (February – April) the library receives paper tax forms from the IRS and the State of Kansas for distribution.
- Form 1040
- Instruction booklet for 1040 form
Additional federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov
- Form K-40
- Form Kansas Schedule S
- Form K-40H – The Kansas Homestead Claim form
We do not receive instruction booklets for the Kansas forms. Additional Kansas forms and instructions are available from the Kansas Department of Revenue.
Child Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit information is available at childtaxcredit.gov
Low-income families with children are eligible for this crucial tax relief – including those who have not made enough money to be required to file taxes. Use the Non Filer Signup tool.
Free Tax Help
VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
The IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free basic tax return preparation to qualified individual
For more information about VITA, contact the Shawnee County Extension Office at 785-232-0062.
AARP Tax Aide
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone free of charge with a special focus on taxpayers who are over 50 or have low-to-moderate income..
MyFreeTaxes helps people file their federal and state taxes for free, and it’s brought to you by United Way.
Helpful Addresses, websites, and phone numbers
Topeka IRS Office:
515 S Kansas Ave, Suite 301
(785) 235-3053 or call (844) 545-5640 to make an appointment
- File Online: Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
- Forms: www.ksrevenue.org Note: K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
- File Online for Free: Electronic Filing Options for Individual Income and Business Taxes
- E-mail tax questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (785)368-8222
Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center
All Kansas state tax forms (including the instructions) are available at this location. No advance appointment is needed to pick up forms.
The Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center can also assist with filing Kansas state taxes (not Federal).
Scott State Office Building
120 SE10th St
Other Helpful Resources
While you’re at the library picking up your tax forms, take note that we also have forms many library customers are looking for this time of year that are not a tax forms: