The library has the basic IRS form 1040 available.
We have the Instruction booklet for the Form 1040.
We have 1099-MISC forms and instructions available.
NOTE: The IRS has revised the 1040 form and will no longer offer the 1040 A or 1040 EZ form. All taxpayers will use the 1040 form – read more here.
Additional federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov or can be requested at 1-800-829-3676.
The Kansas K-40, Schedule S and K-40H (homestead claim) forms are available at the Customer Service desk for 25¢ each. The library purchases these forms from the State of Kansas and the charge is to cover our costs.
Kansas tax forms are also available at the Taxpayer Assistance Center located in the Scott State Office Building (120 SE 10th).
Free Tax Help
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available at the library Feb 4 through April 14 during the 2020 tax season.
Hours: Tuesdays 6-8:30pm | Thursdays 9am-8:30pm. Sign up at the library to reserve a spot starting at 7:30 am Tuesdays or Thursdays.
- There are many other locations in Topeka that offer free tax assistance.
Local IRS Office: (785) 235-3053, 120 SE 6th Ave, 8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri.
- Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free 1 (800) 829-1040 Mon–Fri 7am–10pm
- To Order Forms by Mail: 1-800-829-3676 or http://www.irs.gov/
- File Online: Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
Kansas Department of Revenue offers assistance with Kansas State taxes in the Scott State Office Building, 120 SE 10th St, 8 am-4:45pm Mon-Fri during tax season.
- Forms order line: (785) 368-8222 or www.ksrevenue.org
- General Question line: (785) 368-8222 or call (785) 296-3909 and ask to be transferred to the Taxpayer Assistance Center.
- PIN Number Request (and other e-Filing help): 1-800-525-3901
- File Online for Free: Electronic Filing Options for Individual Income and Business Taxes
Note: K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
Other Helpful Resources
While you’re at the library picking up your tax forms, take note that we also have forms many library customers are looking for this time of year that are not a tax forms: