During tax season (February – April) the library receives paper tax forms from the IRS and the State of Kansas for distribution.
As of April 12, 2022, we are out Kansas tax forms.
Available Federal Forms and Instructions
- Form 1040 and 1040 SR, includes Schedules 1,2 and 3 (all are in the same booklet)
- Instruction booklet for 1040 form
- Spanish language 1040 forms and 1040 instruction booklets
- Form 4868 – Application for Automatic Extension of Time of File (in both English and Spanish)
Additional federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov
1099, W-2 and other Information and Employer forms can be ordered at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/online-ordering-for-information-returns-and-employer-returns
Child Tax Credit information is available at childtaxcredit.gov. Low-income families with children are eligible for this crucial tax relief – including those who have not made enough money to be required to file taxes. Use the Non Filer Signup tool.
Available Kansas Forms
Kansas Forms and Instructions are also available at the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center, 120 SE 10th. The hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-4:45pm
- Form K-40 – Form: We are out of these as of 4/12/2022. They are available at the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center, 120 SE 10th St
- Form Kansas Schedule A: We are out of these as of 4/12/2022. They are available at the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center, 120 SE 10th St
- Form Kansas Schedule S – Supplemental Schedule: We are out of these as of 3/29/2022. They are available at the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center, 120 SE 10th St
- Form K-40H – The Kansas Homestead Claim form: We are out of these as of 3/14/2022. They are available at the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center, 120 SE 10th St
We do not receive instruction booklets for the Kansas forms. Additional Kansas forms and instructions are available from the Kansas Department of Revenue.
Free Tax Help
VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available at the library February 1 through April 14 during the 2022 tax season. The VITA program offers free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals.
Hours: Tuesdays 6-8:30 pm | Thursdays 9 am-6 pm
Sign up begins at 7:30 am each day that VITA is at the library. Customers will sign up at with a VITA volunteer at the library and then return for their appointment.
VITA also offers tax assistance at other locations in Shawnee County, and by mail (the mail in deadline is April 1st).
A complete schedule and more information are available from the Shawnee County Extension Office.
Questions? Call a VITA volunteer at 785-213-9002.
A print copy of the VITA and AARP tax help sites can be downloaded here.
AARP Tax Aide
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone free of charge with a special focus on taxpayers who are over 50 or have low-to-moderate income.
Topeka Tax Aide sites are offering help at two locations but by appointment only in 2022.
Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging 2910 SW Topeka Blvd. By appointment only, No walk-ins- call 785-235-1367 (Site opens February 7th)
Avondale East Community Center, 455 SE Golf Park Blvd. By appointment only, No walk-ins- call 785-233-1365 (Site opens February 9th)
MyFreeTaxes helps people file their federal and state taxes for free, and it’s brought to you by United Way.
Helpful Addresses, websites, and phone numbers
Topeka IRS Office:
515 S Kansas Ave, Suite 301
(785) 235-3053 (Office information only) or call (844) 545-5640 to make an appointment. All public visitors are required to make appointments prior to visiting.
For telephone tax assistance from the IRS call 1-800-829-1040, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time
- File Online: Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
- Forms: www.ksrevenue.org Note: K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
- File Online for Free: Electronic Filing Options for Individual Income and Business Taxes
- E-mail tax questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (785)368-8222
Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center
All Kansas state tax forms (including the instructions) are available at this location. No advance appointment is needed to pick up forms.
The Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center can also assist with filing Kansas state taxes (not Federal). To schedule an appointment, click here.
Scott State Office Building
120 SE 10th St
Mon-Fri |8am-4:45pm | (785) 368-8222
Other Helpful Resources
While you’re at the library picking up your tax forms, take note that we also have forms many library customers are looking for this time of year that are not a tax forms: