2020 Tax Season Update from the IRS:
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Tax Relief
- Economic Impact Payments (Stimulus): What you need to know
- Tax deadline changed: The deadline to file and pay federal income tax is extended to July 15, 2020.
- Telephone Assistance: IRS live phone assistance is not available at this time. Please look for help on IRS.gov.
- Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) closed: The IRS has stopped all face-to-face service nationwide until further notice.
We continue to process tax returns, issue refunds and help taxpayers with available staff. Consider using IRS Free File to file your return. Filing electronically along with Direct Deposit is the fastest and most secure way to get your refund.
When the library reopens, we will have the basic IRS form 1040 and instruction books available.
Additional federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov
The Kansas K-40, Schedule S and K-40H (homestead claim) forms will be available at the Customer Service desk for 25¢ each. The library purchases these forms from the State of Kansas and the charge is to cover our costs.
Free Tax Help
UPDATE: Due to Covid-19, all face to face tax assistance programs are suspended at this time.
Local IRS Office: (785) 235-3053, 120 SE 6th Ave, 8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri.
- File Online: Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
- Forms: www.ksrevenue.org
- File Online for Free: Electronic Filing Options for Individual Income and Business Taxes
- Email tax questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
Other Helpful Resources
While you’re at the library picking up your tax forms, take note that we also have forms many library customers are looking for this time of year that are not a tax forms: