During tax season (February – April) the library receives paper tax forms from the IRS and the State of Kansas for distribution.
Federal Forms and Instructions we will receive (February – April)
- Form 1040 and 1040 SR. – As of 4/2/2023 we are out of Form 1040 SR
- Instruction booklet for 1040 form
- Spanish language 1040 forms and 1040 instruction booklets
Additional federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov
Customers can use public computers at the library for internet access and printing, 10 cents per page.
1099, W-2 and other Information and Employer forms can be ordered at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/online-ordering-for-information-returns-and-employer-returns
Child Tax Credit information is available at childtaxcredit.gov. Low-income families with children are eligible for this crucial tax relief – including those who have not made enough money to be required to file taxes. Use the Non Filer Signup tool.
Kansas Forms we will receive (February – April)
Kansas Forms and Instructions will also be available at the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center, 120 SE 10th. The hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-4:45pm
- Form K-40 – Form As of 4/12/2023 we are out of the Kansas K-40 form
- Form Kansas Schedule A
- Form Kansas Schedule S – As of 3/31/2023 we are out of Kansas Schedule S forms
- Form K-40H – As of 3/15/2023 we are out of Kansas Homestead forms
We do not receive instruction booklets for the Kansas forms. Additional Kansas forms and instructions are available from the Kansas Department of Revenue.
Free Tax Help
A complete schedule of all the Shawnee County Tax Assistance sites and more information is available from the Shawnee County Extension Office.
- VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available at the library during tax season (February – April). The VITA program offers free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals.
2023 Hours: By appointment only. January 18th is the first day they will start taking phone calls for appointments.
The phone number to call for an appointment is 785-969-9951.
The number is to CRC. Leave a detailed message and a CRC or VITA volunteer will call you back to schedule an appointment for taxes.
- AARP Tax Aide
During tax season (February – April) AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone free of charge with a special focus on taxpayers who are over 50 or have low-to-moderate income.
2023 services are by appointment only. Their services will start February 1st and be located at the Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging and the Avondale East Community Center.
The phone numbers to call for an appointment are:
785-235-1367 (Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging)
785-235-1365 (Avondale East Community Center)
MyFreeTaxes helps people file their federal and state taxes for free, and it’s brought to you by United Way.
Helpful Addresses, websites, and phone numbers
Topeka IRS Office:
515 S Kansas Ave, Suite 301
(785) 235-3053 (Office information only) or call (844) 545-5640 to make an appointment. All public visitors are required to make appointments prior to visiting.
For telephone tax assistance from the IRS call 1-800-829-1040, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time
- File Online: Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
- Forms: www.ksrevenue.org Note: K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
- File Online for Free: Electronic Filing Options for Individual Income and Business Taxes
- E-mail tax questions to: email@example.com or phone (785)368-8222
Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center
All Kansas state tax forms (including the instructions) are available at this location. No advance appointment is needed to pick up forms.
The Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center can also assist with filing Kansas state taxes (not Federal). To schedule an appointment, click here.
Scott State Office Building
120 SE 10th St
Mon-Fri |8am-4:45pm | (785) 368-8222
Other Helpful Resources
While you’re at the library picking up your tax forms, take note that we also have forms many library customers are looking for this time of year that are not a tax forms: