An appraiser helps to assess the value of an object, be it a rare book, work of art, artifact or collectible. Many people seek out an appraisal for insurance purposes, while others do so with the intention to sell their work. Click here for a broad, downloadable list of professional appraisers located in northeast Kansas, as well as links to several major auction houses. You can also find an appraiser by region and area of focus using these handy links:
- Appraisers Association of America | Find An Appraiser
- American Society of Appraisers | Find An Appraiser
- International Society of Appraisers | Find An Appraiser
- Article: How Much Is Your Object Worth?
- Article: Researching Your Art
- Downloadable PDF: Tips for Maintaining Your Collection & Preparing for An Art Appraisal
Conservation & Restoration
Dirty painting? Broken porcelain vase? If your artwork needs a face lift and you don’t know where to begin, we’re here to help find resources.
- What’s the difference between a conservator and a restorer?
“Hello, I Need My Painting Cleaned…”
Restorers & Conservators in Topeka and the Kansas City Area
- Beauchamp’s Gallery & Frame Shop (Restoration—Topeka, KS)
- Sutton Greene Art Conservation, LLC (Conservation—Kansas City, MO)
- Van Witt Fine Art Conservation, LLC (Conservation—Overland Park, KS)
- Heugh-Edmonson Conservation Services, LLC (Conservation—Kansas City, MO)
Conservators outside Kansas
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
- Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute
- The Western Center for the Conservation of Fine Arts
Art Auction Sites
Searching current auction records for objects similar or identical to your own might give you a ballpark idea of current market value, but antiques, artworks, and other collectible items have such an individual nature that fixed values are difficult to establish. Prices asked and amounts offered are determined by personal interests of both the seller and the purchaser and by the trends in the market. TIP: To find an auction house in your area, search online for “fine art auction houses.”
The following pricing resources are provided solely for general interest. The Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library staff are not auction professionals.