I have great memories (and so does my now teenaged son) about our cozy reading spot. We’d snuggle into our old big brown recliner next to a side table loaded with beloved picture books. This was the spot where we eventually read every book in our home. I was thinking about this recently. As adults we are drawn to cozy spots where we can sit and linger over a good book. As a parent, reading a book with your young child is one of the greatest joys.
We all know that reading a book to your child gives them a head start. When you create a cozy reading spot for you and your child, you’ve given your child another reason to fall in love with reading and books. There are extravagant reading nooks like those on television, but a cozy reading spot can be anywhere you choose. This is a place where favorite storybook characters come to life. It’s a place where curiosity and imagination live in the pages of a book. It’s a reminder of the love and connection between you and your child.
Here are some tips to creating a cozy reading spot for your child and you.
- Choose comfy seating.
- Add more comfort. A fluffy blanket or plush pillow is the perfect touch.
- Give it personality. Take time to make the spot reflect you and your child.
- Have a good source of light.
- A splash of color makes it fun and inviting. This could be as simple as colorful throw pillows.
- Nothing says cozy more than a basket full of beloved books.
- Make it quiet and away from distractions.
- Consider storage. You’ll need a designated place to store books.