With all the changes occurring these days, even job interviews have changed. In the past a job interview was a face-to-face meeting. Now the many businesses are conducting video interviews. Here are some job interview tips to help you make the most of this new format and get the job.
How to Prepare for Video Job Interview
There are a few new things to think about when you prepare for a video interview.
- Test your internet connection and whatever technology platform you will be using. Does it work correctly? Explore the tool so you know how to use it well. This includes making sure your computer’s camera and microphone are working.
- Find a nice quiet place where you will not be disturbed during the interview. Make sure family members and pets will not interrupt during the interview.
- Adjust your lighting and background to show you at your best. Make sure your camera does not pick up any glares or shadows. Lighting from the front is best and the more natural light the better. Find more specific tips to look your best on video.
- Practice, practice, practice. Find a friend or family member to practice with before the actual interview. This will help you get comfortable with the format and with the technology.
- Prep like you would for an in-person interview.
- Research the interviewer.
- Research the company.
- Understand the job description.
- Prepare to answer common interview questions.
- Prepare a list of questions for the interviewer.
- Dress to impress (no shorts with a suit a top).
- Maintain good eye contact and body language. You may want to place a photo or post it note next to the camera to remind you where to look.
- Let the interviewer finish speaking before you talk. Most systems allow for only one speaker at a time. If you interrupt the interviewer, you miss out on what they said. It may also appear rude.
- Treat you interview like a conversation. That is the one sure way to build a connection with the other person.
- Finally, thank the interviewer for their time and follow up with an email or handwritten thank you note within 24 hours.