Become a Board Member
About the Friends
For more than 40 years, the Friends of the Library have strived to achieve a singular goal: Aid the library by staying on the cutting edge of technology, services and programs that promote lifelong learning. Since 1971, the Friends have donated more than $1.9 million to the library.
The Friends are not a small organization. We have evolved into three lines of business:
- The Chandler Booktique
- Online Sales
- Book and Media Sales
The Friends is a membership organization. We want mass numbers of our community to join and advocate for our wonderful library.
The Friends board is a working board. This means that members are expected to serve on at least two committees and help at the sales. Board members serve a three year term and are eligible to sign on for a second term. After two terms, the member must take a year before attempting to re-join. This ensures a fresh perspective and the opportunity to benefit from new expertise.
How to apply to become a board member
Fill out and return the application. Applications may be turned in any time of year. The Nominating Committee submits a slate of nominees to be voted on by the Friends membership. Occasionally vacancies are available to be filled mid-year. Otherwise, below is the timeline for the process:
- Sept 10 - All applications due for the following year
- Sept 11-30 - Members of the nominating committee will contact applicants to interview and answer questions.
- October - Applicants to be nominated will receive an invitation to the Annual meeting the first Sunday in November.
- Second Tuesday in November - New Friends board members are invited to the regular Friends Board meeting
- December - New board member orientation
- Board meetings are the second Tuesday of January, March, May, July, September and November at 3:45pm.