Youth Services Specialist (Full-time)
Here is your opportunity to work with teens in a setting that features both information and play. Connect them and their families to library and community resources. Build relationships. Facilitate best life skills, encourage them to be readers, and feed their passions for learning. We are looking for someone with excellent customer service skills who can interact positively with teens from across our community as well as their families. That individual must be self-motivated, quick thinking, assertive, technologically savvy mentor/coach and possess library and/or adolescent development knowledge. In addition to helping customers find the information they need, you would have the opportunity to create experiences that instilled fun and developed teen interests. The ideal candidate would engage customers throughout the service space, connect customers to a variety of information formats, and be familiar with pop culture. Must be able to work independently, cooperatively and collaboratively.
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library is a library committed to helping people live their best life, develop their passions for learning, and be engaged readers.
Position summary: The Specialist provides direct service support to customers for their information, reading and technology questions needs in person, over the phone, and online. The Specialist excites customers about learning and reading. In addition, Specialists create and present programs, classes, learning experiences, tours, displays and online resource materials focused on a wide range of learning needs of customers, especially teens and new adults. Sometimes this is done in the building or sometimes this is done through outreach. While this position interacts with people of all ages, the focus will be on people ages 12-25. The Specialist will have opportunities to work independently as well as in a team planning and implementing environment.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university plus two years of applicable customer service experience or equivalent combination of education and experience as determined relevant by the Library is required
- Knowledge of adolescent development
- Experience interacting directly with teens and/or new adults
- Familiarity with children’s literature and authors, especially young adult literature
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to perform detailed work with accuracy and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Ability to adapt and respond positively in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work cooperatively with customers, volunteers, community partners, colleagues and supervisors
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite software applications, internet searches and social media
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently, be flexible and adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Previous experience working in a library
- Bilingual language skills (English and other language)
Other requirements: This position requires negative TB test; valid Driver’s License with an insurable driving record; and successful completion of pre- and/or post-employment drug screen, a criminal history record check and a physical capacity test. This position also requires manual dexterity, talking on the telephone, stationary work at a computer terminal, the ability to climb stairs, bending, reaching, lifting up to 20 pounds, frequent exertion of up to 20 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force, and the ability to get up and down from the floor. Requires the use of library vehicles.
Schedule: Full Time, 40 hours per week. Includes day, evening and weekend hours. Anticipated schedule includes: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and most Thursdays 8:30-5:30; Fridays 12:15-9:15; rotating weekend shifts: Saturdays 8:45-6:16 and Sundays 12:15-9:15.
PAY & BENEFITS: Hourly rate begins at $17.80. Excellent benefits including health & dental insurance with pre-tax premiums, and a retirement plan (KPERS). Group life, disability coverage and accidental death benefits are also provided. Other optional benefits available at employee’s expense include vision, life and cancer insurance and a deferred compensation plan.
Closing date: Applications will be accepted through Friday, June 21, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY: A completed and signed job application is required for consideration. Application forms are available online at www.tscpl.org, or in the Library at the Customer Service Desk or in Human Resources.
Application materials may be mailed, handed in, faxed, or emailed.
Completed and signed application materials can be mailed to:
Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library
1515 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66604
Application materials may be handed in at the Human Resources Office on the second floor of the library. Human Resource office hours are M-F 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. If the HR office is not open, applications may be dropped off at the Customer Service Desk.
Application materials may be faxed to 785-580-4496.
Application materials may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
For more information, please contact Human Resources at: 785-580-4492 or send e-mail to: email@example.com