The Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library is looking for a Systems & Network Administrator who is organized, an effective communicator, and loves keeping large scale systems up to date with the newest technology.
This position is responsible for installing, supporting, and maintaining the library’s servers; assisting with the development, implementation and management of systems; managing networks and communications; and overseeing the provision of regular and on-call technical support and training to users.
As the Systems and Network Administrator, you will:
- Install, upgrade, troubleshoot, create documentation, and maintain library physical server and virtual environment, including Windows domains, file servers, backup systems, e-mail, database servers, web servers, and other components of the library’s central computer services in coordination with other staff.
- Install, upgrade, troubleshoot and maintain library telecommunications and data network infrastructures including all switches, routers, voice-mail systems, mobile devices, data cabling infrastructure, and other required equipment in coordination with other staff.
- Analyze, recommend, and coordinate implementation of new technological solutions including all aspects of testing, installation, training, and vendor relations as assigned.
- Maintain network and computer security through the installation of required tools, patches, upgrades, and other measures.
- Research, recommend, acquire quotes, and coordinate purchase of hardware, software and technology services.
- Direct and assign helpdesk tickets and projects for Computer Technicians relating to system and network stability.
- Provide escalation support for technical issues that cannot be resolved by Computer Technicians.
- Coordinate with Security on physical access systems, fire panel operations, and security camera systems.
- Coordinate with Facilities on environmental control systems.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in computer information systems, networking, or related fields, or moderate experience working in a computer system environment, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of experience with Windows systems administration, including physical installation, configuration, backups, restorations, patch management, monitoring, system security, and installation of third-party software.
- Two years of experience with Windows Active Directory configuration and management including user account administration, policy configuration, and computer object administration.
- Experience with administration of Microsoft 365.
- Experience working in Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (formerly SCCM).
- Experience with SQL Server database configuration.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) / Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MSCE) / Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MSCA) certifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proven ability to troubleshoot network-related issues, Windows desktop, and server hardware and software.
- Knowledge of planning, designing, and maintaining data networks; administration of day-to-day networks operation, and implementation of LAN/WAN maintenance and management procedures.
- Ability to multitask and deal with changing and competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing work environment.
- Ability to work well with limited supervision.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers and keep a customer first mentality when recommending new technologies.
- Ability to scan the horizon, watch emerging trends, and translate them into usable directions for the library.
A pre and/or post-employment drug screen, criminal history record check and physical capacity testing are required as a condition of employment.
SCHEDULE: Some nights and weekend days may be required.
PAY & BENEFITS: Starting salary will be in the range of $58,739.20 to $73,424.00 depending on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits including health & dental insurance with pre-tax premiums, and a retirement plan (KPERS). Group life, disability coverage and accidental death benefits are also provided. Other optional benefits available at employee’s expense include vision, life and cancer insurance and a deferred compensation plan.
About the Library:
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, Library Journal 2016 Library of the Year, is a 21st-century, landmark library, and features the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery, the Millennium Café, Chandler Booktique (bookstore and gift shop), free meeting rooms, computer training and free gigabit Wi-Fi access.
Located in the heart of Shawnee County, the library has a collection of more than 500,000 books and serves more than 100,000 registered borrowers. About 3,000 people walk through our doors daily. Our bookmobiles make about 20 stops six days a week traveling across the county. We provide services to 55 senior living facilities and 85 homebound individuals. Our Library At Work program delivers library materials to mailrooms at 15 employers throughout the community. Our website serves customers’ needs 24/7. The library offers state-of-the art technology, youth programs that encourage learning and reading, accessibility services addressing the needs of older readers and persons with disabilities, and reference and research tools.
The library is a great meeting venue for community groups and is a cultural hub for art, music and literature. People of all ages discover and experience art at the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery. We connect individuals to culture, art and artists – both modern and classic. The gallery is also recognized for two national art competitions and its annual art exhibit for children. Professional exhibits from the library’s permanent collection (the oldest in the city) as well as traveling exhibits draw nearly 20,000 visitors annually.
The library is helping to transform the lives of its citizens through five community impact goals:
- Every child will be ready for kindergarten;
- Everyone will discover their passion for learning;
- Everyone will continue learning new ways to live their best life
- Topeka and Shawnee County will be an engaged community of readers; and
- The Library will be a learning organization committed to excellence in: Leadership, planning, customer focus, process management and partner focus.