The Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library is looking for part-time Public Services Specialists who have excellent customer service skills, are self-motivated, assertive, technologically savvy, and effective communicators.
The part-time Public Services Specialists provide direct support to customers for their information, reading and technology question needs in person, over the phone and online. Specialists create and present programs, classes, displays and online resource materials focused on a wide range of learning needs of customers.
As the part-time Public Services Specialist some of the things you will do are:
- Customer Engagement: Deliver high quality customer service by assisting customers with library materials, digital resources, technology equipment, information needs or other services. Engage with customers in person, over the phone, through email or by text messaging. Promote the use of materials, services and programs to customers. These interactions may take place in the Library or in the community including at outreach site locations.
- Programming: Plan and present programs to the public individually or as part of an organized team based on the interests and needs of the community. Follow the Library programming framework when planning, presenting, and evaluating programs.
- Attendance: Maintains prompt arrival and efficiently and dependably maintains scheduled hours.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- A combination of customer service and/or post-secondary education to total three years.
- Four or more years of customer service experience.
- Multi-lingual fluency.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to find new ways to increase customer satisfaction and forge meaningful connections.
- Knowledge of technology tools and learning resources such as databases, print and online resources.
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform detailed work with accuracy.
- Interpersonal skills, strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or in a team and adapt quickly in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work scheduled hours, arrive promptly and maintain regular and reliable attendance.
A pre and/or post-employment drug screen, criminal history record check and physical capacity testing are required as a condition of employment.
SCHEDULE: This is a part-time position that may work days, nights and weekends.
PAY & BENEFITS: Hourly rate begins at $17.80 depending on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits including health & dental insurance with pre-tax premiums, and a retirement plan (Kansas Public Employees Retirement System KPERS). Group life, disability coverage and accidental death benefits are also provided. Other optional benefits available at employee’s expense include vision, life and cancer insurance and a deferred compensation plan.