Starting January 17, the library distributes IRS forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and 1099-Misc. In 2017 we will also be receiving the instruction booklets for the 1040, 1040A and 1040 EZ.
Federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov or can be requested at 1-800-829-3676.
The Kansas K-40, Schedule S, and K-40H (homestead claim) forms will be available at the Customer Service desk for 25¢ each. The library purchases these forms from the state of Kansas and the charge is to cover our costs.
Kansas tax forms are also available at the Taxpayer Assistance Center located in the Docking state office building (901 SW Harrison).
Free Tax Help
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available at the library February 2 through April 15th during the 2017 tax season.
Hours: Tuesdays, 6-8:30 pm | Thursdays, 3-8:30 pm | Saturdays, 1-4 pm
- Sign up begins at 9 a.m. each day that VITA is at the library. Patrons will be able to get a number at the information desk which will save them a place in line. They can then leave and then return at the time that the VITA service begins.
- VITA Tax assistance for both Federal and State taxes is also available at the Docking Building, 9 a.m. -3 p.m., M-F, in room 163.
- There are many other locations in Topeka that offer free tax assistance.
Local IRS Office: (785) 235-3053, 120 S.E. Sixth Ave. Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free, 1 (800) 829-1040; Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. local time
- To Order Forms by Mail: 1-800-829-3676 or http://www.irs.gov/
- File Online: Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
Docking State Office Building, 915 SW Harrison, Taxpayer Assistance Center is in room 150; the hours are 8 a.m.-4:45 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Forms order line: (785) 368-8222 or www.ksrevenue.org
- General Question line: (785) 368-8222
- PIN Number Request (and other e-Filing help): 1-800-525-3901
- File Online: Electronic Filing Options for Individual Income and Business Taxes
Note: K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
Other Helpful Resources
While you’re at the library picking up your tax forms, take note that we will have forms many library customers are looking for this time of year that are not a tax forms:
- LIEAP (Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program
- City of Topeka Utility Franchise Fee Credit Program application