In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes–Benjamin Franklin
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library receives and distributes Federal and State tax forms and instruction booklets. We are also a host site for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program which will begin Saturday, February 1st
NOTE: As of the time of writing this post we have only received the Federal Income Tax booklets for the 1040 A form. The booklets for the 1040 EZ form should arrive next, followed by the booklets for the 1040 form.
The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who make $52,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities.
Hours for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program are:
Tuesdays, 6-8:30 pm (Assistance in Spanish is available on Tuesdays)
Thursdays 3-8:30 pm
Saturdays, 1-4 PM
These hours start Saturday., Feb. 1st and run through April 15th.
VITA appointments are first-come, first-served. Sign-up starts one hour before VITA opens. .
Items you need to bring to VITA sites include
- Proof of identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and any dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and any dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s), usually a W-2 form, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from your banks (1099 form)
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
The table and racks of the forms and publications that we have received is located in the Atrium of the Library. You can call us at 580-4540 to check on the availability of forms, instructions, or publications before coming to the Library.
The Kansas Income Tax, Kansas Schedule S form, and Kansas Homestead forms are available for purchase at the Reference and Media desk in the library for 25 cents each. The Library purchases these forms from the State of Kansas and the charge is to cover our costs.
Kansas tax forms and instructions are also available at the taxpayer assistance center located in the Docking state office building.
Many tax forms and publications are available online:
- Federal tax forms: www.irs.gov; FREE online filing is also available
- Kansas income tax and homestead forms: www.ksrevenue.org; FREE online filing is also available. K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
Other forms that many of our patrons are looking for at this time of year:
- LIEAP (Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program) http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Energy/EnergyAssistance.aspx
- CIty of Topeka Franchise Fee Refund Application (Administered by the CRC)
Here are some useful phone numbers and addresses to have handy while preparing this years tax return:
Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time
To Order Forms by Mail: 1-800-829-3676 (or www.irs.gov)
(785) 235-3053, 120 S.E. Sixth Ave. Hours: Monday-Friday – 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m
Address to mail return: (addresses for other types of returns available at www.irs.gov)
Forms order line: (785) 368-8222 or www.ksrevenue.org
General Question line: (785) 368-8222
PIN Number Request (and other e-Filing help): 1-800-525-3901
Docking State Office Building, 915 SW Harrison, Taxpayer Assistance Center is in room 150, the hours are 8 a.m.-4:45 p.m., M-F
VITA Tax assistance for both Federal and State taxes is also available at the Docking Building,
9 a.m. -3 p.m., M-F, in room 163
Mailing Address to mail forms
(NOTE: Copies or forms printed from the internet are NOT acceptable)
Individual Income Tax/Food Sales Tax
Kansas Department of Revenue
915 SW Harrison St.
Topeka, KS 66699-1000