Join me every month to discuss different cookbooks and authors at Garfield Community Center, 1600 NW Quincy Street, for Cooking by the Book! Choose a recipe from the month’s theme, whether it be a specific cookbook, author, cuisine, etc., and bring it to share and discuss. For April, I made “Marshmallow Pretzel Bars” from No Bake Makery by Cristina Suarez Krumsick , although I was very close to making “No-Bake Triple Chocolate Brownies” from Bakeless Sweets by Faith Durand. for April’s “No-Bake” theme. I love both books because as we get into the heat of Spring and Summer Kansas weather, I try to avoid using my oven as much as possible.
Call 785-251-2950 to register for this program! Here is the schedule so far for 2014:
Wednesday May 14, 2014 1:00-2:00PM
Wednesday June 18, 2014 1:00-2:00PM
Wednesday July 16, 2014 1:00-2:00PM
Wednesday August 20, 2014 1:00-2:00PM
Marshmallow Pretzel Bars
Source: No Bake Makery by Cristina Suarez Krumsick | May 2013
Yield: about 20 servings
Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cooking: 20 minutes, Cooling: 20 minutes
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 3 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter chips
- 6 cups roughly chopped or broken salted pretzels
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Line an 8-in square baking dish with parchment paper, wax paper, or aluminum foil. Let the long ends hang over the sides of the dish and grease lightly with butter or baking spray.
- In a double boiler, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and pretzel pieces, stirring until everything is mixed evenly.
TIP: You can use creamy peanut butter in place of the chips and use any chocolate chip in place of the dark chocolate chips. You can also use any size marshmallow.
- Using a spatula, pour and press the mixture into the prepared pan. Work fast because the marshmallows will set quickly and it will be very sticky! Sprinkle with salt if desired, and allow to cool for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Transfer to a cutting surface. Peel off the foil and cut into approximately 20 squares using a sharp knife.
TIP: Spray your knife with cooking spray to help cut into the sticky pieces!
|Bakeless sweets : pudding, panna cotta, fluff, ice…||Icebox cakes : simply irresistible no-bake dessert…||No bake makery : more than 80 two-bite treats made…||The no-cook, no-bake cookbook : 101 delicious reci…|