Family caregivers and friends who care for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia can attend any or all of the six-part series from the Alzheimer’s Association Heart of America Chapter. Download the “Alzheimer’s Series flyer” for more information about each session in the series.
Speakers from the Alzheimer’s Association Heart of America Chapter will present each program. Resources from the Health Information Neighborhood of the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library will be available for checkout.
All sessions are held from 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. in the Marvin Auditorium 101A at the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library
- Tuesday, October 8, 2013 – “What can I expect?” An overview of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias
- Tuesday, October 15, 2013 – “I don’t need any help” Managing the individual’s resistance to care
- Tuesday, October 22, 2013 – “He just sits around all day” Explores the role of activities and structure for persons with the disease
- Tuesday, October 29, 2013 – “Is she/he on too many medications?” Benefits and concerns of commonly prescribed medications
- Tuesday, November 5, 2013 – “I can’t do this anymore” The challenges of making the placement decision; options and resources
- Tuesday, November 12, 2013 – “I should, I ought, I have to” A discussion of the guilt that typically goes along with the role of the caregiver
Preregistration is requested by contacting Cindy Miller at 785.271.1844 or firstname.lastname@example.org at the Alzheimer’s Association – Heart of America Chapter.
This workshop series is not intended for professional caregivers.
Finding Hope in the Caregiver’s Journey
Love in the Land of Dementia: Finding Hope in the Caregiver’s Journey is a performance of inspiring stories dealing with the complex issues of loss and change, flexibility and acceptance. These stories offer humor, insight, information and hope to families, friends and caregivers.
Sunday, November 17, 2013, 2:00–4:00 pm in the Marvin Auditorium at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library
- Tangles: a story about Alzheimer’s, my mother and me by Sarah Leavitt (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 LEA
- Caring for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s: An Emotional Journey(DVD) by Brewster,MA (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
- The Living End: A Memoir of Forgetting and Forgiving by Robert Leleux (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 LEL
- Learning to speak Alzheimer’s: a grounding breaking approach for everyone dealing with the disease by Joanne Koeing Coste (2003) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 COS
- The Alzheimer’s caregiving puzzle : putting together the pieces by Patricia Callone (2011)Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
- A Caregivers guide to Alzheimer’s Disease: 300 Tips for making life easier by Patricia Callone (2006) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
- The Alzheimer’s sourcebook for caregivers: a practical guide for getting though the day by Frena Gray Davidson Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 DAV
- The 36-hour day a family guide to caring for people with Alzheimer disease, other dementias, and memory loss in later life by Nancy L Mace Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 MAC
- Coach Broyles’ playbook for Alzheimer’s caregivers :a practical tips guide by Frank J Broyle’s Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 BRO
- Alzheimer’s disease by Paul Dash Health Information Neighborhood 616.831DAS
- Alzheimer’s in America : the Shriver report on women and Alzheimer’s : a study by Maria Shriver and the Alzheimer’s Association Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 SHR
- Alzheimer’s disease facing the facts (2009) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 ALZ
- The Alzheimer’s project (2009) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 ALZ
- Caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s an emotional journey (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
Request these library resources at catalog.tscpl.org.
Local resources and recommended websites
- Alzheimer’s Association
- University of Kansas Alzheimer’s Disease Center
- MedlinePlus Health Topic: Alzheimer’s
- Mayo Clinic Alzheimer’s Disease
- American Health Assistance Foundation
- Alzheimer’s Publications
- Alzheimer’s Disease Research Review – This newsletter, published by AHAF’s Alzheimer’s Disease Research (ADR) program, provides easily understood up dates on research currently funded by ADR and other imely information on Alzheimer’s disease.
- Care for the Caregiver: Managing Stress – This 8-page booklet discusses the warning signs of stress, how to recognize what you can and cannot change, and strategies to reduce stress.
- Staying Safe: Wandering & the Alzheimer’s Patient – This 4-page booklet discusses wandering, how to prevent the behavior, and what to do if a person is missing.