The Friends of TSCPL are very fortunate to receive donations from members, the general public, libraries, businesses and other organizations. These donations are the inventory for the Book Sale, Chandler Booktique and Online Sales. The condition of the materials received is very important. For the health and safety of our customers, volunteers and staff we are unable to use items that have been damaged. This includes materials that have been wet, moldy, buggy, have a strong odor, chewed, burnt or dirty. Please recycle these items yourself.
The following is a guide of items we would like to have donated as well as what we are unable to use:
- Items which are in good condition, clean, dry, mold-free
- Books with covers
- Gently used Children’s books – WE NEED LOTS OF CHILDREN’S BOOKS
- Fiction of all types—including Religious Fiction.
- Non-Fiction books of all genres.
- Books related to Travel—last 5 years.
- Books related to Computers or Finance—within the last 2 years.
- Home School textbooks—the last 5 years.
- Recent popular Legal books—intended for lay-persons.
- Medical & Nursing textbooks.
- CURRENT college textbooks—some older in GENTLY USED condition may be accepted.
- National Geographic magazines prior to 1950 AND the current year only.
- All Kansas publications, such as Journals, Travel.
- Business magazines—current year only.
- Sports magazines—current year only.
- Science magazines—last 2 years.
- Cooking, Home, Garden and Craft magazines (as long as recipes have not been cut out) .
- All other (SPECIAL TOPIC) magazines within 3 years. Some exceptions are New Yorker and Architectural Digest, History, American Heritage, Civil War. We keep ALL of these special topic type magazines. (including: Oprah, Martha Stewart, etc.)
- Business & Finance magazines—current year only.
Puzzles and games
Commercially produced DVDs, VHS
Sheet Music & Music Books
- Items which are unhealthy to handle, have an odor, dirty, moldy, burnt, chewed or wet
- Books missing covers
- Encyclopedias or year books
- VHS or Audio Cassette tapes
- Homemade DVDs, CDs, videos, or cassette tapes
- Reader’s Digest books, Time Life series, National Geographic series
All donations to the Friends of TSCPL are tax deductible. The person receiving your donation should ask if you would like a letter acknowledging your donation. You will be given a green slip to fill out so a letter can be sent to you. The Friends do not assign value to your donation. If you need an itemized list, you will need to make a list and attach it to the letter you receive from us.
How to Donate
- If you have just a few items to donate, you can take them to the Chandler Booktique in the Library.
- Also there is a white donation box inside the drive to the dock area. This is the first drive way on Garfield Street from 10th Avenue. This donation box is best used if you have a few items and do not want a letter for your taxes.
- If you have a box or more, you may take your donation to the dock area. Again it is the first drive way on Garfield Street from 10th Avenue. If the dock doors are not open, there is a white doorbell up by the back door. Please ring the doorbell and someone will assist you. You could call ahead at 580-4400 or 580-4445 to make sure someone is available to meet you. The best times to bring donations to the dock are from 7:30am – 4:00pm Monday through Friday.