The 2014 Friends Book Sale will be September 19-21 at Ag Hall on the Kansas Expocentre grounds. Friday, September 19, from 6–9pm is Preview night and Friends members have free admission. Memberships are sold at the door. Non-members, who prefer not to purchase a membership, may pay $5 per person (children ages 7 and under are free). The sale is open free of charge to the public on Saturday (9am-5pm) and Sunday (10am-5pm). Sunday is bag day. You can fill a grocery sack (to the top, but not overflowing) for $5. Cash, checks, Visa and MasterCard are accepted. On Monday, September 22, 7 am-Noon everything that is left is FREE. Bring your own boxes or bags.
Book Sale Map (PDF)
- Hardbacks and large paperbacks – $2
- Small paperbacks – $1
- Records – $1
- CDs – $2
- DVDs- $2
- Audiobooks – $2
- Children’s books – $1
- Premium section – All items individually priced. A cashier will be stationed in this area for this section only.
- Sunday – Bag day – all books (excluding items from the Premium Section) that will fit to the top of a grocery sack (provided) for $5 a bag.
- Premium Collection – signed books by author; special editions; like new fiction & non-fiction
- Media – DVD, CD, vinyl records, books on CD
- Leisure – Graphic novels/Comics, Non book items, travel, book puzzles, sports, transportation (planes, trains, auto), humor
- History/Politics – true crime, law, politics, current affairs, history
- Arts – art photography, fine art, drawing, painting, dance, jewelry, theatre, radio, tv, architecture, furniture, collectibles, price guides
- Music – sheet music, folios, instruments
- Fiction – (hardback & large paperback)- mystery & thriller, sci-fi/fantasy, general romance
- Children – pre-school, board books, religion, crafts, teens, children’s fiction, poetry, golden books, scouts, fairy tales, holidays, readers, paperbacks
- Large Print – fiction and non-fiction
- House, Home & Garden – gardening/landscaping, home construction, electrical/carpentry/trades, interior decorating, recycling/green living, crafts & needlework
- Life Issues & Wellness – family, women’s issues, health/medicine, parenting, minorities, ethnic, diet, death & dying, self help, philosophy, retirement & aging, addiction/recovery, nutrition/fitness
- Business & Finance – business, economics, finance, careers
- Life Sciences – animals, nature, earth sciences, pets
- Math & Ologies – math, computer, engineering, sociology, psychology, anthropology, archeology
- Spirituality – religion, religious fiction, bibles, new age, reference, concordance, lexicon, wicca
- Classics – plays, essays, literature, poetry
- Reference/Education – dictionaries, maps, atlases, almanacs, college guides, languages, test prep
- Cooking – books about food, wines/alcohol, entertaining, cookbooks
- Paperbacks – romance, mystery/sci-fi/fantasy, general
Book Sale Sponsors
Sponsorship is available to individuals, groups and businesses. If you wish to remain anonymous, we will respect your wishes. Otherwise, we take every opportunity possible to thank our sponsors. There are many expenses associated with a large event such as the Book Sale. Any amount donated to help cover the costs is greatly appreciated. Any donation made to the Friends of the Library is tax deductible. To be a Book Sale sponsor, send your donation to Friends of TSCPL, 1515 SW 10th, Topeka, KS 66604 with a note that it is for the Book Sale. You will receive a thank you to be used for your taxes.
Here are the following contributor categories: Underwriter – $500 or more; Sponsor – $250 to $499; Donor – $50 to $249.
THANK YOU TO OUR BOOK SALE SPONSORS!
- FHL Bank Topeka
- Kaw Valley Bank
- Mrs. M.E. Stratton
- Warren E. Taylor
- Dr. David G. Woods
- Auburn Chiropractic Clinic
- BT & Co
- Educational Credit Union
- HTK Architects
- Topeka Smiles
- Hy-Vee Food Store
Would you like to be part of the Book Sale?
It takes many volunteers to put on the Book Sale.
- Sorters are needed all year to sort and box donated items for the sale. This work is available weekdays, weekends and evenings for how ever much time a volunteer would like to donate.
- Book Sale set up begins on Thursday before the sale at Ag Hall putting up signs, moving boxes, putting up signs and unloading boxes.
- Many volunteers are needed at the sale to assist customers, restock the tables, assist with the check out process and various other things.
- Volunteers are needed to help clean up when the sale is over. Bring your gloves and come in comfortable clothes and be ready to move items out. Clean up is between 8:00am and 12noon on the Monday after the annual book sale.
To discuss any of these volunteer opportunities, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 580-4490. Find out what “perks” volunteers receive for their help.