Every week more than twenty thousand customers walk into the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, and not just for our books. Over 7,000 meetings and programs take place each year in our meeting spaces. Library staff provide programs and services in schools, childcare facilities, community recreation centers, on library vehicles, at senior living facilities, and other locations across the county. Three thousand times a day the library’s digital branch is accessed for news, research, videos, e-books, magazines, language instruction and our many other online resources. Our YouTube videos are watched more than 8,000 times a month. TSCPL received the Urban Libraries Council’s 2014 Award for innovation in civic and community engagement for our meeting facilitation service.
The Customer Experience Manager (CE Manager) is responsible for improving the experiences of library users, ensuring that the library provides excellent customer service at all of these points of contact and that library programs and services are meeting the current needs of customers. The CE Manager supervises employees responsible for public computer training, meeting bookings, staff training and public programming administration.
- Manages the customer experience (CE) in cooperation with other departmental managers including supporting the delivery of a consistent library experience.
- Continuously evaluates and improves the way in which customers experience the library.
- Establishes metrics for defining the relationship with customers.
- Analyzes customer feedback.
- Directs the implementation of new CE initiatives focused on adding and improving customer service and customer experience.
- Coordinates visual merchandising throughout the library as part of the library experience.
- Provides leadership in overall planning, management, and direction of adult, teen, and youth programs and classes.
- Coordinates meeting facilitation by library staff for organizations throughout northeast Kansas.
- Manages all library employee training.
- Identifies current and future staff training needs and ensures that training needs are addressed.
- Provides coaching and support for improving quality of service.
- Leads teams related to training, programming and hospitality.
- Participates on teams relating to data, public relations, human resources, and library management.
- Build strong relationships through partnerships and collaboration with internal and external program and service providers
- Supervises two training professionals and one event coordinator.
- Reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of the principles, rules, techniques, materials and equipment required for a variety of special events and activities; ability to instruct participants and adhere to program standards and objectives; general knowledge of media techniques; demonstrated understanding of the importance of the customer experience and how it relates to the mission, vision and goals of the library; demonstrated understanding of the philosphy of training and ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public; understanding of the principles of customer loyalty management, customer relationship management, and customer value management. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, community officials, volunteer groups and the general public. Ability to function effectively as a team leader and facilitator. Ability to influence cross-library agreement on how to deliver the greatest value to customers. Digital literacy. Valid driving license with insurable driving record.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and extensive experience overseeing a facility with the ability to conduct multiple events simultaneously, experience training staff and/or public; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, strong interpersonal skills, training experience, program planning, event management.
Preferred education/experience: Masters degree in business; MLS; CCXP – Certified Customer Experience Professional or similar training; leadership experience at a large public library; extensive experience in customer service, CE, customer loyalty, marketing, or analysis of customer data; experience in meeting facilitation and process improvement.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting and speaking or hearing, frequently requires standing and occasionally requires walking and repetitive motions; work has no special vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, playground, classroom, light traffic).
Pay & Benefits
Salary range begins at $56,570 per year with excellent benefits including health & dental insurance, KPERS retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, vacation, and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
A completed and signed job application is required for consideration for each position. Application forms are available online at www.tscpl.org, or in the Library at the Customer Service Desk or in Human Resources. First review of applications will begin on August 6, 2014. The position will remain posted until filled
Application materials may be mailed, handed in, faxed, or emailed.
Mail completed and signed job application materials to:
Human Resources Director
Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library
1515 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66604
Application materials may also be handed in at the Human Resources Office on the second floor of the library. Human Resource office hours are M-F, 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. If the HR office is not open, applications may be dropped off at the Customer Service Desk.
Application materials may be faxed to 785-580-4496.
Application materials may be emailed to email@example.com. Please put “Customer Experience Manager” in the subject line.
For more information, please contact Human Resources at: 785-580-4492 or send e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org EOE