Where are you on the Body Mass Index (BMI) scale?
|30.0 and Above||Obese|
Over two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or obese, and over one-third are obese, according to data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003–2006 and 2007–2008.
Risk Factors for Overweight and Obesity
- type 2 diabetes
- coronary heart disease
- high LDL (“bad”) cholesterol
- nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- gallbladder disease
- osteoarthritis (degeneration of cartilage and bone of joints)
- sleep apnea and other breathing problems
- some forms of cancer (breast, colorectal, endometrial, and kidney)
- complications of pregnancy
- menstrual irregularities
Learn more about healthy weight: