Starting in late January, the library will have IRS forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and1099-Misc. available. In 2018 we will also receive the instruction booklets for the 1040, 1040A and 1040 EZ. Forms and booklets do not all arrive at the same time and some may not arrive until mid-February.
As of February 23, 2018:
The 1040, 1040 A and 104o EZ forms have arrived.
The 1040, 1040 A and 1040 EZ instruction booklets have arrived.
We also have 1099-MISC and 1096 forms.
Federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov or can be requested at 1-800-829-3676.
The Kansas K-40, Schedule S and K-40H (homestead claim) forms are available at the Customer Service desk for 25¢ each. The library purchases these forms from the State of Kansas and the charge is to cover our costs.
Kansas tax forms are also available at the Taxpayer Assistance Center located in the Scott State Office Building (120 SE 10th).
Free Tax Help
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available at the library February 1 through April 14 during the 2018 tax season.
Hours: Tuesdays 6-8:30pm | Thursdays 3-8:30pm | Saturdays 1-4pm
- Sign up begins at 9am each day VITA is at the library. Customers will sign up at the information desk in the rotunda, which will save them a place in line. We can take 20 people on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and 30 people on Thursdays. After they sign up, the customer can then leave and then return at the time the VITA service begins.
- There are many other locations in Topeka that offer free tax assistance.
Local IRS Office: (785) 235-3053, 120 SE 6th Ave, 8:30am- 4:30pm Monday-Friday.
- Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free 1 (800) 829-1040 Monday–Friday 7 am – 10pm local time
- To Order Forms by Mail: 1-800-829-3676 or http://www.irs.gov/
- File Online: Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
Kansas Department of Revenue offers assistance with Kansas State taxes in the Scott State Office Building, 120 SE 10th St, 8 am-4:45pm Monday-Friday.
- Forms order line: (785) 368-8222 or www.ksrevenue.org
- General Question line: (785) 368-8222 or call (785) 296-3909 and ask to be transferred to the Taxpayer Assistance Center.
- PIN Number Request (and other e-Filing help): 1-800-525-3901
- File Online for Free: Electronic Filing Options for Individual Income and Business Taxes
Note: K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
Other Helpful Resources
While you’re at the library picking up your tax forms, take note that we also have forms many library customers are looking for this time of year that are not a tax forms:
- LIEAP (Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program
- City of Topeka Utility Franchise Fee Credit Program application – currently not updated for 2018