Election season is here and your vote matters! Here are three important steps to make your voice heard in the local election this November 2019
- Register to vote. The last day to register to vote is Oct 15. You can register at the library, any of these locations or online. Check to see if you’re already registered.
- If you want to vote early, you can advance vote in person or by mail. On Oct 16 the elections office will begin mailing advance ballots and in-person advanced voting begins Oct 21, 8am to 6pm, Mon-Fri in the Shawnee County Election Office, 3420 SW Van Buren. Request an advance ballot by mail or fax.
- Finally, vote! Election day is Tues, Nov 5. Polls open 7 am and close 7pm. Advance ballots must be returned to election office or polling place by 7pm on Nov 5.
Additional information to know before heading out on election day:
- Find your polling place and registration status to make sure you are registered and find out where you vote. There is also a list of street closings on both the Topeka and Shawnee County websites, which might be helpful in getting to your polling place.
- Kansas law requires a photo ID when voting. Find a list of acceptable forms of IDs and other information, including how to apply for a free photo ID from the Kansas Secretary of State’s Office.
For more information on this and other elections, including sample ballots and election results, visit the Shawnee County Election Office.