The Printed Image supports national artists working in hand-pulled print media and offers art lovers an opportunity to view the latest trends in printmaking.
The exhibition is Sept 7 – Oct 21, 2018 and will be hosted at the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery at the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, Topeka, Kansas. The Printed Image is sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
Entry deadline is May 30, 2018.
This Year’s Juror
MELANIE YAZZIE is a sculptor, painter and printmaker. She is professor and head of printmaking in the Department of Art and Art History at the University of Colorado, Boulder. Yazzie often takes part in collaborative art projects with indigenous artists in New Zealand, Siberia, Australia, Canada, Mexico and Japan. Of her journeys, Yazzie said, “It’s at these gatherings and traveling from place to place that fuels my work and revitalizes my spirit!”
Yazzie’s work follows the Diné dictum “walk in beauty” literally, creating beauty and harmony. As an artist, she works to serve as an agent of change by encouraging others to learn about social, cultural and political phenomena shaping the contemporary lives of Native peoples in the United States and beyond. Yazzie’s work incorporates both personal experiences as well as the events and symbols from Diné culture. Her early work focused on depictions of the harsh realities of Native peoples (i.e., racism, identity conflict, poverty, abuse, etc.) to bring Native issues to the forefront, but more recently she is making work with a positive twist.
How to Enter
Artists 18 years old or older, currently residing in the United States.
- Any hand-pulled print technique including intaglio, relief, serigraph, lithograph, photogravure, collagraph, monoprint and monotype, and broadsides
- Three-dimensional prints
- All work must be hand-pulled framed and ready to display behind non-breakable plastic (no glass).
- Prints must be no more than 3 years old (2015 or newer) and not previously exhibited in The Printed Image.
- photography, digital prints and photocopier prints
A $35 non-refundable fee for up to three works.
All entries and fees will be processed through Call For Entry. Do not send your entry to the Sabatini Gallery. See Café.com for the image specifications and submission instructions.
Wed, May 30, 2018
Notification of Acceptance
Artists will be notified by email on June 20, 2018.
Call the Sabatini Gallery at 785-580-4515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Juror’s Awards will be named by the juror and announced at the Awards Reception on Sat, Sept 8, 2 – 4pm. These are cash awards for high-quality work.
- Purchase Awards will be named by the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery and will become part of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library’s permanent art collection. Awards are sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
The Sabatini Gallery encourages potential buyers to contact the artist directly. Neither the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery nor the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library receive any commission on sales.