The Printed Image supports national artists working in hand-pulled print media, and offers art lovers an opportunity to view the latest trends in printmaking.
The exhibition is November 4 – December 30, 2016 and will be hosted at the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery at the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, Topeka, Kansas. The Printed Image is sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
This Year’s Juror
Stephen Goddard has dedicated his career to the study of printed art. His undergraduate work was done at Grinnell College. After two years of research in Belgium, and the successful completion of his doctoral work at the University of Iowa in Art History he enjoyed a post-doctoral internship at the Yale University Art Gallery where he worked closely with Richard S. Field. In the course of his thirty-one years at KU’s Spencer Museum of Art, where he is associate director, senior curator of works on paper, and professor of art history, he has organized over forty exhibitions and offered many courses on the history of printmaking and print connoisseurship.
Exhibitions that he is especially proud of include The World in Miniature: Engravings by the German Little Masters, 1500- 1550 (1988); Les XX and the Belgian Avant-Garde: Prints, Drawings, and Books ca. 1890 (1993); Ubu’s Almanac: Alfred Jarry and the Graphic Arts (1997); Remembering the Family Farm: 150 Years of American Prints (2001); Brion Gysin: A Selection of Books and Works on Paper(2005); Trees & other Ramifications: Branches in Nature & Culture (2009); Machine in a Void: World War I & the Graphic Arts (2010); Cryptograph: An Exhibition for Alan Turing (2012). Goddard has served as president of the Print Council of America (1997-2001) and has helped oversee the Print Council of America’s database of catalogues raisonné since its conception in 2001.
How to Enter
Artists 18 years of age or older, currently residing in the United States.
- Any hand-pulled print technique, including intaglio, relief, serigraph, lithograph, photogravure, collagraph, monoprint and monotype, and broadsides. Three-dimensional prints are also eligible.
- Non-eligible prints: photography, digital prints, photocopier prints. All work must be hand-pulled, framed, and ready to display behind non-breakable plastic (no glass).
- Prints must be no more than 3 years old (2013 or newer) and not previously exhibited in The Printed Image. Questions: call the Sabatini Gallery at 785-580-4515 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A $35 non-refundable fee for up to three works.
All entries and fees will be processed through Call For Entry. Do not send your entry to the Sabatini Gallery. See Café.com for the image specifications and submission instructions.
CaFÉ Entry Deadline
Monday, June 27, 2016
Notification of Acceptance
Artists will be notified by email on August 8, 2016.
- Juror’s Awards will be named by the juror and announced at the Awards Reception on Saturday, November 12, 2016. These are cash awards for high-quality work.
- Purchase Awards will be named by the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery and will become part of the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library’s permanent art collection. Awards are sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
The Sabatini Gallery encourages potential buyers to contact the artist directly. Neither the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery nor the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library receive any commission on sales.