LET’S READ February & March 2019!
Book #1: The Soul of Baseball by Joe Posnanski
This book is based on sports columnist Posnanski’s 2005 cross-country journey with former Negro Leagues professional baseball player Buck O’Neil to discover the soul of baseball. It’s a story of O’Neil’s love of baseball, his experience with racial discrimination, his memories of a time when the game was more about players’ love of the game than money, and his time as a baseball scout. There is even some jazz appreciation along the journey.
Book #2: Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella
Shoeless Joe is the inspiration for the movie Field of Dreams. This novel takes a nostalgic look at baseball, fathers and sons, love and family, and the joy of finding your way home. A dreamer builds a baseball diamond in the middle of cornfields and dead outstanding baseball players of the past show up for a very special game. Discussion Resources
Think about multiplying your reading experience when you join 2Book Topeka, our community reading initiative. Three times a year everyone in Shawnee County has the opportunity to read two books on a theme. Our February-March 2019 theme is spring training featuring The Soul of Baseball by Joe Posnanski and Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella.
We are a reading community and have come together 11 times in the past to read the same book, talk about it and enjoy events with the Big Read. Think of 2Book Topeka as “big read” times two! We started 2Book Topeka as our community read to meet the demand and enthusiasm generated by the Big Read. For many people the Big Read didn’t happen often enough.
- Sat, Feb 16 | 11am-12:30pm | Anton Room — Take part in the 2Book Topeka Book Club and discuss The Soul of Baseball. Discussion led by librarian Dave Coleman and Todd Fertig, author of Legacy: The Enduring Impact of the Negro Leagues on Modern Baseball and American Society.
- Sun, Feb 17 | 2-3:30pm | Marvin Auditorium — Joe Posnanski, bestselling author of The Soul of Baseball, three-time national sportswriter of the year and co-founder of Passions in America will share baseball tales, insight into sports writing and will read from his work. Q&A and book signing to follow.
- Mon, Feb 25 | 6:30-7:30pm | The Story Zone [Kids] — Grab your friends and report for spring training to test your baseball skills with some Virtual Reality fun and Wii Baseball.
- Tue, March 12 | 11am-12:30pm | Marvin Auditorium 101C — Explore the early days of the KC Monarchs with Phil S. Dixon, author and co-founder of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Remember great players like Satchel Paige & Jackie Robinson. Q&A and book signing. Sponsored by Humanities Kansas.
- Sat, March 16 | 11am-12:30pm| Anton Room –Take part in the 2Book Topeka Book Club and discuss Shoeless Joe.
Previous 2Book Topeka Reads
Help us plan future 2Book Topeka Reads
If you have suggestions for a future 2Book Topeka book or two books around a theme, let us know.