In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library receives and distributes Federal and State tax forms and instruction booklets. As of the time of this posting, we have received the 1040 forms, but we have not received the 1040 instruction booklets yet–according to the IRS these will arrive sometime between late January through late February. We also have not received the Kansas tax forms yet, however they have been ordered and should arrive soon. Kansas state forms and instructions are also available at the Taxpayer Assistance Center at the Docking state office building. All the forms we have received are available at our tax table located in the atrium of the Library–for more details see below.
We are also a host site for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program which will begin Saturday, February 1st.
The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who make $52,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities.
Hours for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program are:
Tuesdays, 6-8:30 pm–Spanish Assistance is availabe on Tuesdays.
Thursdays 3-8:30 pm
Saturdays, 1-4 PM
These hours start Saturday., Feb. 1st and run through April 15th.
VITA appointments are first-come, first-served. Sign-up starts one hour before VITA opens. .
Items you need to bring to VITA sites include
- Proof of identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and any dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and any dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s), usually a W-2 form, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from your banks (1099 form)
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
The table and racks of the forms and publications that we have received is located in the Atrium of the Library. You can call us at 580-4540 to check on the availability of forms, instructions, or publications before coming to the Library.
The Kansas Income Tax, Kansas Schedule S form, and Kansas Homestead forms are available for purchase at the Reference and Media desk in the library for 25 cents each. The Library purchases these forms from the State of Kansas and the charge is to cover our costs.
Kansas tax forms and instructions are also available at the taxpayer assistance center located in the Docking state office building.
Many tax forms and publications are available online:
- Federal tax forms: www.irs.gov; FREE online filing is also available
- Kansas income tax and homestead forms: www.ksrevenue.org; FREE online filing is also available. K-40 forms printed from the internet are NOT ACCEPTABLE for filing purposes.
Another form that many of our patrons are looking for at this time of year:
- LIEAP (Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program) (The application period starts January 21st–go here apply online or to get information on how to request a paper application): http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/ees/Pages/Energy/EnergyAssistance.aspx
Here are some useful phone numbers and addresses to have handy while preparing this years tax return:
Telephone Assistance for Individuals: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time
To Order Forms by Mail: 1-800-829-3676 (or www.irs.gov)
(785) 235-3053, 120 S.E. Sixth Ave. Hours: Monday-Friday – 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m
Address to mail return: (addresses for other types of returns available at www.irs.gov)
Forms order line: (785) 368-8222 or www.ksrevenue.org
General Question line: (785) 368-8222
PIN Number Request (and other e-Filing help): 1-800-525-3901
Docking State Office Building, 915 SW Harrison, Taxpayer Assistance Center is in room 150, the hours are 8 a.m.-4:45 p.m., M-F
VITA Tax assistance for both Federal and State taxes is also available at the Docking Building,
9 a.m. -3 p.m., M-F, in room 163
Mailing Address to mail forms
(NOTE: Copies or forms printed from the internet are NOT acceptable)
Individual Income Tax/Food Sales Tax
Kansas Department of Revenue
915 SW Harrison St.
Topeka, KS 66699-1000