Below are some Internet links you can use to access online resources to help with your career development. We have also listed some career books you can check out from our Careers & Jobs Neighborhood in the West Wing of the Library.
- Career Builder
Features career tools and many current job listings.
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, this site provides national, state, and local career, labor market, and workforce information.
A complete Web career directory, with links to sites to search for jobs or career development enhancement.
- USA Jobs
This search for federal jobs is powered by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management site
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
Growth potential of over 250 occupations. U.S. Department of Labor
- Neuvoo.com Free job search engine that indexes jobs directly from companies’ career websites, placement agencies, and job boards. Centralizes all jobs available on the web to help people find new career opportunities
The following books, as well as many others, are located in the Jobs and Careers Neighborhood in the West Wing of the Library:
- Monster Careers; How to Land the Job of Your Life. by Jeff Taylor, founder of MONSTER.com (650.14 TAY CAREER)
Packed with real-world advice from recruiters, career counselors, human resource professionals, and successful job seekers.
- Top 300 Careers; Your Complete Guidebook to Major Jobs in Every Field. U.S. Department of Labor (331.702TOP CAREER)
Explore hundreds of careers, assess your best career fit, and land a job fast with this extensive, authoritative resource.
- Making a Living While Making a Difference; Conscious Careers for an Era of Interdependence. by Melissa Everett (331.702EVE CAREER)
Ten-step program that includes paying attention to what you care most about, assessing core aptitudes and attitudes, and how to make your work reflect your own passion and commitment.
- The Career Chronicles; an Insider’s Guide to What Jobs are Really Like. by Michael Gregory (331.702GRE CAREER)
In this nuts-and-bolts guide, over 750 professionals give you the good, the bad, and the ugly of two dozen popular professions. Also includes helpful information about education, testing, and registration & licensing requirements.
- 100 Fastest-Growing Careers; Your Complete Guidebook to Major Jobs with the Most Growth and Openings. by Michael Farr (331.702FAR CAREER)
Detailed, up-to-date descriptions of 100 jobs with great opportunity through 2016. Also includes targeted resume samples.
- What Color is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers. by Richard N. Bolles (650.14 BOL CAREER). The world’s most popular job-hunting guide,this book has helped millions discover their unique gifts, skills, and interests. Updated yearly. In addition to the main version, the library also has “Parachute” books specific to teens, retirees, and online job-hunting.