Cover letters are becoming more and more vital to the job search process. They should be limited to one page, highlight your qualifications, while at the same time letting the employer know that you have done some homework about their company. Below are some Intenet links and books you can check out from the Library’s Jobs & Careers neighborhood to help you compose an effective letter.
- Career Builder
Features many current job listings, resume building, cover letters, and more.
- Job Search
Instruction and tips on cover letter writing, cover letter samples, as well as tips and tools for writing other job search correspondence.
Everything the job seeker will need, from resume writing to cover letters to job listings.
Job search site for college students and recent college graduates. Helps students and graduates prepare for all aspects of searching, including resumes, cover letters, interview techniques, and relocation advice.
Below are some books on Cover Letters that you can check out from the Jobs & Careers neighborhood in the west wing of the Library:
- Cover Letter Almanac. Adams Publishing. (650.142ADA CAREER) – Contains 600 cover letters used by real people to win real jobs. Covers all industries and positions from entry-level to senior executive.
- Cover Letters that Knock ‘em Dead. by Martin Yate, C.P.C. (650.142YAT CAREER) – Provides you with key words and phrases to help you land that first interview. Also shows you how to follow up after an interview. Features the latest information on online postings and e-mail techniques.
- Hire Me, Inc.: Resumes and Cover Letters that Get Results. by Roy J. Blitzer (650.142 BLI CAREER) – Career expert Blitzer shows you how to market yourself with your resume and cover letter. Provides job search tools that can help make a difference.
- Perfect Phrases for Cover Letters. by Michael Betrus, CPRW (650.142 BET CAREER) – Hundreds of ready-to-use phrases for writing cover letters that get noticed. Strategies for specific professions and job situations.
- BARRON’S How to Write Better Resumes and Cover Letters. by Pat Criscito, CPRW (650.142 CRI CAREER) – Learn how to write a dynamic and customized cover letter. Also contains dozens of model resumes.