Summerfest 2012 means great stories, games, entertainment and a chance to take home a Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire – plus other great prizes. The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library wants everyone in the community, young and old, to sign up for summer reading at summerfest.tscpl.org. << Click the link
Watch our SummerFest video below:
Summer readers earn rewards, like free bowling passes and chocolate. There are five programs that fit everyone in the family. Complete the following to receive an certificate of accomplishment and be eligible for grand prize drawings. Sign up here:
- Pre-reader: (birth to 18 months) 30 activities or be read to 12 hours
- Kids: (toddlers to middle school) read to 12 hours
- Teens: (middle school to 18-years) read 12 hours
- Adults: (18 and older) read 8 books
- Group: a perfect option for daycares and camps (not eligible for grand prizes)
After reaching the 12-hour milestone, kids and teens will receive a free book and a certificate. Summer reading is a great activity that helps combat the learning loss that naturally occurs when students go on summer vacation.
“Reading for some fun incentives at their library pays dividends for children, parents and teachers. We’re helping students maintain or improve their reading levels,” said LeAnn Petrie, Youth Services supervisor. “Over the last few years the library has partnered with several school districts to measure reading levels of students at the end of the school year and when they return in August. It shows that by requiring as little as 12 hours of reading during summer, there is an impact on a kid’s learning and reading skills and scores.”
Petrie said reading is reading whether it’s a comic book, listening to audiobooks or other reading-related activities and count towards reaching your reading goals.
SummerFest also includes entertainment for all ages. Free summer activities include:
Featured Programs (all ages unless otherwise indicated)
- June 2 10:30-1:30 p.m. – Sail into Summer
- June 6 9:30,11:00 a.m., & 6:30 p.m. – Sal Cruz Drumline:
- June 9 2 p.m. – Sunflower Music Festival – free performance
- June 12 7 p.m. – Easy Star Gazing
- June 27 4 p.m. – Megan Leigh, Country Pop singer
- July 11 9:30, 11:00 a.m., & 6:30 p.m. – The La La’s
- July 14 3-4 p.m. – Playful Pianists from Around the World
- July 28 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. – Dream Big Game Day & Biggest Storytime Ever
- Readapalooza (grades 2-5): 10-11:00 a.m., Tuesday & Thursday
- Stories and Crafts (3-5 years): 10-11:00 a.m., Tuesday & Thursday
- Games, Brain Challenges and Crafts (5-12 years): 1-3 p.m., Monday, Wednesday & Fridays
- Friday Flicks: 2-4 p.m.
- Stories and Music with Kyler: 10 a.m., Saturday
- R.E.A.D. Dogs: 2 p.m., Sunday
Come aboard the Adventuremobile, the kid’s bookmobile, and meet a new critter each week. The schedule is in the June/July edition of ConnectNow Library News, and is also online at www.tscpl.org.
Summerfest programming and prizes are sponsored by The Friends of the Library and The Library Foundation, and many community partners who make this reading initiative possible.