There’s plenty of time to read this summer (sign up through July 20) and plenty of time to win (through July 27) in the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library’s SummerFest program. 5,810 (and counting) community members are already reading for a chance to take home a Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire – plus other great prizes.
Summerfest.tscpl.org is your summer reading headquarters. Log on, sign up and record how much you read by July 27 for your chance to win big.
Summer readers earn rewards, like bowling passes, pizza, chocolate and sub sandwiches. Kids and teens get to pick out a book from our treasure trove of books when they reach 12 hours of reading.
Quick recap: There are five programs to suit everyone in the family. Complete the following to receive a certificate of accomplishment and be eligible for grand prize drawings:
- Pre-reader: (birth to 18 months) 30 activities or be read to 12 hours
- Kids: (toddlers to middle school) read to 12 hours
- Teens: (middle school to 18-years) read 12 hours
- Adults: (18 and older) read 8 books
- Group: a perfect option for daycares and camps (not eligible for grand prizes)
LeAnn Petrie, Youth Services supervisor, said reading comic books, listening to audiobooks or other reading-related activities count towards reaching your reading goals.
The SummerFest programs have been packed (59 programs so far with 6,120 people attending), but there’s still fun waiting for you. SummerFest culminates July 28 with our Biggest Storytime Ever, a drop-in storytime featuring local celebrity readers.
Featured Programs (all ages)
- July 11 9:30, 11:00 a.m., & 6:30 p.m. – The La La’s
- July 14 3-4 p.m. – Playful Pianists from Around the World
- July 28 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. – Biggest Storytime Ever/Big Game Day
- Readapalooza (grades 2-5): 10-11:00 a.m., Tuesday & Thursday
- Stories and Crafts (3-5 years): 10-11:00 a.m., Tuesday & Thursday
- Games, Brain Challenges and Crafts (5-12 years): 1-3 p.m., Monday, Wednesday & Fridays
- Friday Flicks: 2-4 p.m.
- Stories and Music with Kyler: 10 a.m., Saturday
- R.E.A.D. Dogs: 2 p.m., Sunday
Come aboard the Adventuremobile, the kid’s bookmobile, and meet a new critter each week. The schedule is in the June/July edition of ConnectNow Library News, and is also online at www.tscpl.org.
Watch and share our Summerfest Music Video online on our YouTube channel http://youtu.be/GigCFUxSV8U.
Summerfest programming and prizes are sponsored by The Friends of the Library and The Library Foundation, and many community partners who make this reading initiative possible.
The library will be closed July 4 in observance of Independence Day, but we’re always open at www.tscpl.org and customers can sign up for summer reading there. Just click the “READ this summer” button.
The Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library is a 21st-century, landmark library, and features the Alice C. Sabatini Art Gallery, the Millennium Café, Chandler Booktique, meeting rooms, and free computer and Internet access and training.
Library hours are Mon. through Fri. 9 am to 9 pm, Sat. 9 am to 6 pm and Sunday 12 pm to 9 pm.