On April 12 from 9am–9pm, we want to remind and encourage you to make reading together a family priority every day. When you visit the library on April 12, look for a comfy chair, sit down and read. Or, you may D.E.A.R. a book out loud. Look for librarians reading too and ask them for a book recommendation.
When you D.E.A.R. you honor award-winning author Beverly Cleary – whose books appear in over 20 countries in 14 languages – and her characters, including Henry Huggins, Ellen Tebbits, Otis Spofford, Beezus, Ramona Quimby, Ribsy, Socks and Ralph S. Mouse.
D.E.A.R. is not limited to children – we want ALL AGES to D.E.A.R.! For more information, call 580-4565.
It’s not so hard to find time to read. Here are some librarian-tested ways to read more.
Read travel books for an imagined trip.
- Use an app to get books on your smart phone or tablet.
- Pick up some magazines for a short and quick read.
- Listen to a book while you are driving, walking or working out.
- Keep a stack or shelf of books in the bathroom for those longer stays.
- Pick books that interest you. Need help? Follow us on Facebook or GoodReads.
- Take turns as a family reading aloud. Set a designated family story time.
- Get inspiration at your public library, 10th and Washburn, or on our books blog.