Where do you recycle?
Here are a couple of sights that will give you a directory of places to go to recycle almost anything.
Shawnee County website has a map with all the recycling centers.
Keep America Beautiful - Topeka/ Shawnee County has a directory under Recycling
What can you recycle?
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV or computer for three hours.
- An aluminum can that is thrown away will still be a can 500 years from now.
- There is no limit to the number of times that aluminum can be recycled.
- A 60 watt light bulb can be run for over a day on the amount of energy saved by recycling 1 pound of steel.
- Approximately 1 billion trees worth of paper are thrown away every year in the U.S.
- Recycling a 1 yard tall stack of newspapers folded in half, saves the equivalent of one tree.
- 52% of all paper was recovered for recycling in 2007.
- Americans use 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour. Most of them are thrown away.
- One extra large t-shirt is made from 5 two liter PET plastic bottles
- It takes 36 two liter bottles to make one square yard of carpet.
- Every month we throw out enough glass bottles and jars to fill a skyscraper. All of these jars are recyclable.
- The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle can run a 100 watt light bulb for 4 hours.
- A modern glass bottle would take 4,000 years or more to decompose.
- Glass is 100% recyclable. It saves raw materials, energy, and reduces waste in landfills.
- A single box can be recycled up to 8 times.
- There are 325 million tires produced annually. 32 million recycled by RMD Americas, LLC.
- Tires collect water that stagnates, and becomes a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Rainforests are being cut down at the rate of 100 acres per minute.
- A single quart of motor oil, if disposed of improperly, can contaminate up to 2,000,000 gallons of fresh water.
- You can 1 walk mile along an average highway in the U.S. and see over 1,400 pieces of litter.
If you do recycle where does it go?
Aluminum cans? - Makes more aluminum cans—can be recycled over and over again
Steel cans? - Other steel cans, appliances, cars
#1 plastic? - Clothing, carpet,
#2 plastic? - Carpet, other plastic containers, plastic lumber, water bottles
Phone books? - Tubes for dinner rolls, shingles, toilet paper
Newspapers - More paper
Some shocking landfill facts
- 75% of our trash can be recycled
- About one-third of an average dump is made up of packaging material!
- Every year, each American throws out about 1,200 pounds of organic garbage that can be composted.
- The U.S. is the #1 trash-producing country in the world at 1,609 pounds per person per year. This means that 5% of the world’s people generate 40% of the world’s waste.
- The highest point in Ohio is “Mount Rumpke,” which is actually a mountain of trash at the Rumpke sanitary landfill!
- If you don’t recycle consider REPURPOSING (one of my favorite new words). Here are some books to get you and your kids started. Have you “repurposed anything fun” share your story.