Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (dillons)
- 1 cup sugar (you can buy organic sugar at Dillons!! )
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coffee ..Yum! I will do ½ coffee and ½ seltzer water if I have it…makes for a fluffier cake
- ½ cup canola oil ( if you come across a recipe that calls for coconut oil DONOT use it. Your cupcakes will taste like suntan lotion and the y will be very heavy) YUCK!!
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening (Dillons)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (again organic)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 5 tablespoons soy milk
- To make chocolate frosting just add cocoa powder.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) cupcake pans with 14 cupcake liners.
Cupcakes: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined
Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 16 to 18
Frosting: Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the shortening until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, add milk as needed until frosting is smooth. Decorate for any occasion..Like HALLOWEEN !
These yummy chocolate cakes are light , fluffy and diary free.. So if the chocoholic vegan in your needs a fix. Fix these up and enjoy! AND as you can see you don’t have to go to a pricey health food store to bake vegan or even gluten free. Our area grocery stores have great selections on these healthy products ( mostly Dillions).