Even though summer is coming to an end, you still might want to do some traveling with your pet bird. To ensure a safe trip for your feathered friend follow these tips:
- Never take your pet bird outside without it being inside a carrier or attached to an avian harness.
- Firmly belt your bird’s carrier to the back seat of your car.
- Reassure your bird by making sure it can see you during your drive and can hear you talking.
- Try to travel when the weather is not excessively hot or cold.
- Make sure your destination is a pleasant and safe place for your bird. Be vigilant when you arrive at your destination.
- Enjoy your trip. Your bird will read your manner and relax.
- Pack for both you and your bird. Take favorite food and treats, toys, dishes, and perches.
- If you are traveling to another state, make sure there are no quarantines in effect.
According to birdchannel.com, these hotel chains are bird-friendly:
Motel 6, Red Roof Inns, Studio 6, Holiday Inn, Radisson, Doubletree, Embassy Suites
If you want to read more about the care of pet birds, visit the Pets Neighborhood at the Library.