If you are living in a small house, apartment, or townhome, it doesn’t mean your small space can’t be neat, well-organized, and well-decorated. Here are some tips for living well in a small space.
1. A spot for everything: A space looks much bigger if everything is organized and put into attractive storage containers. Leave as few items out on furniture as you can.
2. Smaller furniture: Replace big, overstuffed furniture with smaller pieces that fit the scale of your small space. Also, buy pieces that can multi-task such as ottomans and coffee tables with built-in storage.
3. Bring in light: Make sure your space is as light as possible. Place mirrors in your rooms to reflect the light and hang light-colored window coverings to help brighten the room.
4. Choose appropriate colors: Light and cool colors expand a space. (Warm colors make a room seem cozy.) Choose a neutral palette for your overall design and add pops of color throughout your space.
5. Divide a small space correctly: If you need to divide your small space, do it with a room divider that serves as a storage space and a decorative item.
The Library’s Home Neighborhood has many books on decorating small spaces. Two of the newest books are Better Homes and Gardens Small Space Decorating and Living in a Nutshell: Posh and Portable Decorating Ideas for Small Spaces. Come browse through these books, get some great decorating ideas, and start living large in your small space!