Running races in your own area is a great way to support local charities while working out, but sometimes you just need to run away – a total change of scenery. Consider a Destination Run! Plan a vacation around a race in an area you want to visit.
Here are a few races in beautiful areas of the United States and the world you may want to consider. But, you better hurry to sign up – many of these fill up fast!
- BolderBOULDER – This 10K race travels through Boulder, Colorado each Memorial Weekend. Entertainment from 31 bands and other entertainers awaits as you run through the streets of Boulder towards the finish line inside the University of Colorado’s Folsom Field. Traveling to Boulder for the race? Check out Insiders’ guide to Boulder and Rocky Mountain National Park or other books about the area in the Travel Neighborhood.
- Virginia Wine Country Half Marathon – Ran in early June, this race sells out quickly – start watching for the 2013 Registration. The race starts and ends at Doukenie Winery in Loudoun County in Northern Virginia. The event features four days of wine and food themed activities centered around the main event…..a scenic 13.1 mile race starting and finishing in a beautiful setting at Doukenie Winery. Want to learn more about the area? Take a look at Frommer’s Virginia for up-to-date information.
- runDisney – Disney offers several runs throughout the year from 5Ks to marathons. Again, these races fill up quickly so plan ahead as some of the 2013 races have already sold out. Here’s a sampling of the races: Expedition Everest Challenge, Disney’s Princess Half Marathon, Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror Ten Miler, The Tinker Bell Half Marathon and the Walt Disney World Marathon. The Travel Neighborhood has many great guidebooks to help you navigate through Disney World and the surrounding area. Fodor’s 2012 Walt Disney World is just one of the titles you will find.
- Napa To Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon – Runners will start in the vineyards at Cuvaison Winery in Napa and finish in front of City Hall in Sonoma Plaza. The course runs through the Carneros wine region passing thousands of acres of vineyards, ranches, the Napa/Sonoma Marshes Wildlife Area, wineries and downtown Sonoma. Want to know more about the area before signing up for a race? Try the Insider’s Guide to Clifornia’s Wine Country: Including Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino and Lake Counties.
- Original Athens Marathon (With 10K and 5K) According to legend, this race follows the same ground that the Athenian messenger Phiedippides ran when he brought news of victory from the battlefield of Marathon 2,500 years ago. The finish line is inside the Athens Olympic Stadium. Read more about traveling to Greece in Let’s Go Greece. Or check other books on Greece in the Travel Neighborhood.
Would you like to know even more about Destination Running? The June 2012 issue of Runner’s World has more information! It can be found in the Periodicals Room. Or perhaps you would like to know more about running – check out our selection of running books in the Non-Fiction West Wing (796.42).