Learn how to use “Art as Hope” in the next session of the Cancer Survivor Education Series, at noon on Tuesday, October 23 in the Anton Room.
“You can’t miss when you join creative expression with camaraderie,” says Jane Hanni, Assistant Curator of Education at the Mulvane Art Museum. “Join us for a healing balm of lunch-time friendship and art. Learn about the St. Francis Health Center/Mulvane Art Museum Art & Wellness Program. Look, create, understand.”
Watch a brief video from WIBW about how Art Offers Hope For Cancer Survivors
Topeka Area Cancer Survivors Education Series
Survivors, caregivers, family and friends are invited to learn about cancer survivorship issues. Whether you are newly diagnosed or a 20-year survivor, this series educates, informs and empowers survivors, enabling them to better manage their disease and enhance their quality of life
The Topeka Area Cancer Survivors Education Series meets from noon to 1 p m on the fourth Tuesday of every month at the Library and features resources from the library’s Health Information Neighborhood.
- Nov. 27 – Kelly Stevenson, Kansas Rehabilitation Hospital
- Jan. 22 – Tom Matthews, PhD, Optimum Performance, on “Neurofeedback”
- Feb. 26 – Susan Krigel, PhD, KU Medical Center, on “Survivorship”
- March 26 – Amber Groeling, RD, LD, Hy-Vee Dietician
- April 23 – TBA
- May 28 – Jennifer Taylor, American Cancer
For more information, e-mail Matt Herynk of Topeka’s Cotton-O’Neil Cancer Center at mherynk@stormontvail org.
Request these books and other resources at http://catalog.tscpl.org
- The art therapy sourcebook by Malchiodi, Cathy A. Publisher, Date: New York : McGraw-Hill, c2007.
- I can’t draw a straight line : bringing art into the lives of older adults by Hubalek, Shirley K. Publisher, Date: Baltimore : Health Professions Press, c1997.
- Explore yourself through art by Barber, Vicky. Publisher, Date: London : Carroll & Brown, 2002.
- Visual journaling : going deeper than words by Ganim, Barbara. Publisher, Date: Wheaton, Ill. : Quest Books, Theosophical Pub. House, 1999.
- Expressive arts for the very disabled and handicapped : for all ages by Cohen, Jane G. Publisher, Date: Springfield, Ill. : Charles C. Thomas, 1996.