The library is hosting a 6-part series for family caregivers and friends who care for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease of a related dementia.
Wednesdays, October 3-November 7, 1:30-3pm in the Menninger Room at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library
Speakers from the Alzheimer’s Association Heart of America Chapter will present each program and resources from the Health Information Neighborhood of the library will be available for checkout. Register by calling 785-271-1844 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the “Alzheimer’s Series flyer” for more information about each session in the series.
- Tangles: a story about Alzheimer’s, my mother and me by Sarah Leavitt (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 LEA
- Caring for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s: An Emotional Journey(DVD) by Brewster,MA (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
- The Living End: A Memoir of Forgetting and Forgiving by Robert Leleux (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 LEL
- Learning to speak Alzheimer’s: a grounding breaking approach for everyone dealing with the disease by Joanne Koeing Coste (2003) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 COS
- The Alzheimer’s caregiving puzzle : putting together the pieces by Patricia Callone (2011)Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
- A Caregivers guide to Alzheimer’s Disease: 300 Tips for making life easier by Patricia Callone (2006) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
- The Alzheimer’s sourcebook for caregivers: a practical guide for getting though the day by Frena Gray Davidson Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 DAV
- The 36-hour day a family guide to caring for people with Alzheimer disease, other dementias, and memory loss in later life by Nancy L Mace Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 MAC
- Coach Broyles’ playbook for Alzheimer’s caregivers :a practical tips guide by Frank J Broyle’s Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 BRO
- Alzheimer’s disease by Paul Dash Health Information Neighborhood 616.831DAS
- Alzheimer’s in America : the Shriver report on women and Alzheimer’s : a study by Maria Shriver and the Alzheimer’s Association Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 SHR
- Alzheimer’s disease facing the facts (2009) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 ALZ
- The Alzheimer’s project (2009) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 ALZ
- Caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s an emotional journey (2012) Health Information Neighborhood 616.831 CAR
Request these library resources at catalog.tscpl.org.
Local resources and recommended websites
- Alzheimer’s Association
- University of Kansas Alzheimer’s Disease Center
- MedlinePlus Health Topic: Alzheimer’s
- Mayo Clinic Alzheimer’s Disease
- American Health Assistance Foundation
- Alzheimer’s Publications
- Alzheimer’s Disease Research Review – This newsletter, published by AHAF’s Alzheimer’s Disease Research (ADR) program, provides easily understood up dates on research currently funded by ADR and other imely information on Alzheimer’s disease.
- Care for the Caregiver: Managing Stress – This 8-page booklet discusses the warning signs of stress, how to recognize what you can and cannot change, and strategies to reduce stress.
- Staying Safe: Wandering & the Alzheimer’s Patient – This 4-page booklet discusses wandering, how to prevent the behavior, and what to do if a person is missing.