SummerFest at your library means great stories, games, entertainment and a chance to take home a Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire – plus other great prizes like a book, free bowling passes, chocolate, pizza, sub sandwiches and ice cream, so everyone can reap the rewards of reading. Sign up for summer reading at summerfest.tscpl.org. There are five programs that cater to everyone in your family.
So far 120 infants have been signed up, 1,971 kids, 329 teens and 608 adults. 651 individuals are participating in the group summer reading option. Readers, let’s keep those numbers rising. There’s still plenty of time to read for prizes. Tell your spouse, tell your neighbor, your co-workers and your friends.
You can sign up online, at a bookmobile or at the library. Just 12 hours in 8 weeks – that’s 2 hours a week – will qualify you for the grand prize.
- Pre-reader: (birth to 18 months) Grand Prize: Handmade baby blanket provided by Topeka Crochet Guild
- Kids: (toddlers to middle school) Grand Prize: Nook Tablet and membership pass to Kansas Children’s Discovery Center
- Teens: (middle school to 18-years) Grand Prize: Kindle Fire and Bonus Prize of a $20 Best Buy gift card to teen who reads the most!
- Adults: (18 and older) Grand Prize: Kindle Fire – Adults also have a chance to win weekly prize drawings.
- Group: (a perfect option for daycares and camps) Not eligible for grand prizes
While prizes are a great incentive for reading, we hope that readers reap the intangible rewards too. Summer reading helps combat the summer slide that occurs when schoolchildren take summer break from school. Adults can model the way for kids to show them leisurely reading is a great habit to get into.
Summer reading concludes July 28.
If your the lucky one who takes home the eReader, we hope you’ll load it full of ebooks from your library. Surf that collection here.