At the library we are committed to helping every child learn to read before they start school. Programs like our educational and interactive storytimes are, for many, the gateway to becoming a reader for life. The events nurture children’s social skills and give them a chance to be read to by someone different.
The library has more than a dozen regularly, recurring programs on-site that focus on early literacy skills derived from Every Child Ready to Read, while our outreach storytellers take pre-reading programs to 198 classrooms monthly.
Early Reading Classes (on-site)
- Baby Bookworms [0–18 months] Thursdays at 9:30am, 10:30am and 5:30pm
- Preschool Storytime [3–5 years] Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:00am
- Musical Storytime for Everyone [all ages] Third Friday of every month at 10:00am
- Playing to Read [3–6 years] Fourth Tuesday of every month at 6:30pm
- Sing, Dance and Read [2–5 years] Second and fourth Saturdays of the month at 10:00am
- Stories and Art [3–8 years] Third Saturday of the month at 10:00am
- Pajama Storytime [3–5 years] First Monday of the month at 6:30pm. Registration required. Call 580-4565.
- Sneak, Peek and Read [18–24 months] Registration required for the 4-week session. See Library News or call 580-4565.
- Tot Time [24–36 months] Registration required for this 6-week program. See Library News or call 580-4565.
- Sing, Move and Learn [3–5 years] Registration required for a wiggling, dancing, learning experience cosponsored by ChildCare Aware of Northeast and North Central Kansas. Call 357-5171
It’s never too early to get your baby a library card. Babies in our Read with Me program receive a cute t-shirt to celebrate their first library card (must be 0-18 months). Parents get a booklet on how to get the most out of reading to a pre-reader. Bring your baby by the desk in the Kids Library and ask for a Read with Me library card application today – or save a few minutes by printing one off at home.
Library resources for parents:
- Potty training books/DVDs for parents and kids
- Parenting advice from pros like Dr. Benjamin Spock, Dr. Becky Bailey, Dr. Jim Sears and more
- Spanish-English resources
- Family programming on evenings and weekends. See Library News for complete schedule.