Create the 2015 Community Novel
- Saturday, January 31, 2015
- Noon-2 p.m.
- Marvin Auditorium 101BC
Learn self-publishing from start to finish with the library’s Community Novel editorial team. You’ll work with other writers to write, edit and publish a teen novel set in Topeka. Bring your premise ideas for a futuristic choose-your-own-adventure. Learn more at tscpl.org/novel.
Superimposed gives a new twist to historical fiction. The first chapter begins in present day Topeka, and alternating chapters are written as flashbacks revealing the mysterious truth about one of the characters.
Spirits of Oz gives our community an opportunity to write for a younger audience by creating a story about kids that takes place in Topeka. This ten chapter pilot project encourages kids and adults to write together and contribute illustrations.
Dead men tell no tales–dying men have one last chance. Joe Grimaldi has money and power but no time. HollyHiggins has all the time in the world, but no one to spend it with. As a hospice worker, Holly’s job is to help her clients make peace, even as she struggles with her own dark thoughts. As Joe’s web of secrets starts to unravel, Holly steps into a new role. She is sent across continents on a journey she doesn’t fully understand, to accomplish a task that is decidedly outside her job description. What life will Holly choose when Joe’s secrets are revealed? Serialized online April through August 2014
- Chapter 1 by George Ismael Feliu Jr.
- Chapter 2 by Stacy Spilker
- Chapter 3 by Holly Mace
- Chapter 4 by Brian W Allen
- Chapter 5 by Rae Kary Staab and Elizabeth Staab Van Deusen
- Chapter 6 by Dennis E. Smirl
- Chapter 7 by Janet Jenkins Stotts
- Chapter 8 by Diana Marsh
- Chapter 9 by A.M.Coffee
- Chapter 10 by Elaine Greywalker
- Chapter 11 by Sarah Langley
- Chapter 12 by Reaona Hemmingway
- Chapter 13 by Mari White
- Chapter 14 by Annette Komma
- Chapter 15 by Liv Howard
- Chapter 16 by Crystal K. Green
- Chapter 17 by Steve Laird
- Chapter 18 by Nora E. Derrington
- Chapter 19 by Craig Paschang
- Chapter 20 by Marian Rakestraw, Lissa Staley, and Miranda Ericsson Kendall
Nico and Lola Espiritu have all the usual problems of 12 year olds—spelling tests, parents, sibling rivalry. Their parents are paranormal investigators who star in a struggling reality TV show, so for the most part the twins take the supernatural in stride. Then things really get spooky. The Spirits of Oz reach out for help to prevent an impending disaster, and it’s the kids they contact, not the adults. Are they brave enough to take on an otherworldly quest? Can they save the show, and maybe even the world? Serialized online June through August 2014
- Chapter 1 by Marian Rakestraw
- Chapter 2 by Aimee L. Gross
- Chapter 3 by Jak Kendall & Sky Kendall
- Chapter 4 by Rose Pennock
- Chapter 5 by Chris Blocker
- Chapter 6 by Roxanna Namey
- Chapter 7 by Romualdo Chavez
- Chapter 8 by B.R. Knight
- Chapter 9 by Paul Swearingen
- Chapter 10 by L.J. Williams
Meet the authors at the Book Launch on Sunday, September 28, 2014 from 2-4 pm in the Marvin Auditorium. Buy a print edition of a novel that day to have it signed by the authors.