I hope you have already discovered the joys of listening to audiobooks. If you haven’t, June is the perfect month to discover a whole new way to read–since June is Audiobook Month. Here are seven ways to celebrate this month:
1. Download free audiobooks via SYNC. SYNC is a program that lasts all summer long where you can download two free audiobooks every single week! Just like titles you borrow from your library these audiobooks are free, and they are also yours to keep! Discover new audiobooks all summer long at http://www.audiobooksync.com/. I’m looking forward to the week of July 17th, when I can download The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! For the rest of the titles that will be offered, click here.
2. Defeat your road rage. If you have a good book to listen to while in the car, you are less likely to get irritated by long waits during traffic jams, road construction, or traffic lights.
3. Discover the talents of a good narrator. Talented narrators bring characters to life in ways your mind may not be able. In fact, audiobook lovers will often search out titles based entirely on who is narrating the book. A good narrator can create an entire world with just their emphasis and vocal talents–Jim Dale is famous for doing this for the Harry Potter series–he even won two Grammy Awards and is listed in the Guiness Book of World records for creating the most unique character voices (134) for one audiobook–Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. For more talented narrators, visit Audiofile Magazine’s featured narrators page.
4. Exercise to the sounds of a good story. Listening to an audiobook that you enjoy can make the minutes spent jogging, lifting weights, or doing some other physical activity more enjoyable. And if you only listen to a particular book while you exercise you’ll be motivated to keep at it so that you can find out how the story ends! The Library’s downloadable audiobooks are a particularly good option for exercisers who can load them onto their phones or mp3 players.
5. Make road trips more enjoyable. Find an audiobook that the whole family will enjoy listening to together and enjoy a great story as you travel. And at your rest stops you might have some lively family discussions, as you speculate about what will happen next.
6. Learn a language. Whether it is to prepare for an upcoming vacation, or just to challenge your mind, there are a multitude of audiobooks that can help you learn another language.
7. Enjoy some laughs. Many great comedians have written audiobooks that will have your sides hurting with laughter as you listen to them. Try: David Sedaris, Bob Newhart, Bill Cosby, Tina Fey, Ellen DeGeneres, Jim Gaffigan, and Stephen Colbert for starters.