The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (1898) is one of the first stories to detail a conflict between mankind and an extraterrestrial race, focusing on the adventures of a man and his brothers outside London as Earth is invaded by Martians.
Discuss at the library on Monday, July 8, 2013, 1:30–3:00 pm in the Marvin Auditorium 101C.
“No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; …With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. “
Book I, Ch. 1, War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds Book Discussion Resources
- Download the free ebook from Project Guterberg
- Download the free audiobook from Librivox
- The Way or the Worlds Discussion questions
- Classics Made Modern Book Discussion The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells presentation – Get more out of your experience with a quick overview including: author bio, historical context, pop culture trivia, memorable characters, the critics’ take, and quotes
- Discuss the book at the Goodreads Classic Made Modern eBooks Discussion or in the comments below.
Classics Made Modern eBook Discussion Group
The Classics Made Modern eBook Discussion encourages participants to read and discuss free ebook editions of classic literature and meet to discuss and enrich their experience.
YES! You can still read the traditional book. Request a book, large print, audiobook or movie version at http://catalog.tscpl.org. Classics are more fun when you read them with friends! Discussions prepared and led by Lissa Staley firstname.lastname@example.org