Learn what to check out next! We talk about new books, bestsellers, books, movies and music in many different genres.
In this episode, we celebrate the 2015 Arty Award Nominees for Literary Arts. Poet Annette Hope Billings and Journalist Jeffrey Ann Goudie join us for a discussion of their inspirations, literary lives, and connections to Topeka.
The 2015 ARTY Awards will honor the best and the brightest of Topeka’s arts scene with awards for the best in performing, visual, literary and community arts.
Literary Art Award: This award goes to a writer or group of writers who have a Topeka connection or who write about the city.
2015 Literary Arts Award Nominees
- Annette Billings
- Jeffrey Ann Goudie
- Doug Wallace
The winner will be announced July 25, 2015 at the 2015 ARTY Awards!
Annette Hope Billings
Annette Hope Billings is a poet, playwright, actress and director who retired this year, after thirty-eight years of nursing, to “move my art from the back of the stove to the front burner.” She is the author of two collections of poetry, the most recent being “A Net Full of Hope”, available on Amazon.
Jeffrey Ann Goudie
Jeffrey Ann Goudie is a freelance writer and book reviewer. Her reviews have appeared in the Kansas City Star, the Women’s Review of Books, the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the New York Times Book Review and in newspapers across the country through the McClatchy wire service. She appears as a regular guest on Kansas City’s NPR affiliate, KCUR, to dish about books with other book critics. For Topeka Magazine, she writes profiles of Topekans making a positive contribution to their community. For the Huffington Post, she writes political commentary. For a number of years she wrote a newspaper column first for the Topeka Capital-Journal, then for the Topeka Metro News. She is married to writer and English professor Thomas Fox Averill. They have two children.
Read recent work from Jeffrey Ann Goudie:
- Topeka Magazine, profile of Mulvane Art Museum Director Connie Gibbons (pp. 16-18)
- Star Tribune,Review: ‘Thrown,’ by Kerry Howley
- Kansas City Star, Keija Parssinen’s novel ‘The Unraveling of Mercy Louis’ is a modern-day ‘Crucible’
- Kansas City Star, Novelist Ann Packer dives into family dynamics with ‘The Children’s Crusade’
- Huffington Post, Kansas: The Black-eye State? Not This Time
- Huffington Post, Brownback’s Disconnect
- KCUR, The Best Books About Summer
- Plus, upcoming featured reviews of literary fiction in Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library’s Library News
Thanks for listening!
Have a suggestion? Want to be our next guest? Leave a comment or email us email@example.com.