Non-fiction Historical Books
- In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler’s Berlin by Erik Larson
- Twilight at the world of tomorrow: genius, madness, murder, and the 1939 World’s Fair on the brink of war by James Mauro
- Last Call: the rise and fall of Prohibition by Daniel Okrent
- Triumvirate Mckim, Mead & White: art, architecture, scandal, and class in America’s Gilded Age by Mosette Glaser Broderick
- Fannie’s last supper: re-creating one amazing meal from Fannie Farmer’s 1896 cookbook by Christopher Kimball
See some of the 1939 Time magazine pages that Christina discovered after reading In the Garden of Beasts:
Representing our Friends: Mary Campbell
Mary Campbell share information about the Friends of the Library and their popular community booksales.
In 2010, the Friends donated $82,500 to the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library and $7,500 in Educational Scholarships. Educational scholarships are awarded to library staff working toward their masters in library science degree.
For volunteer opportunities with the Friends of the Library, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 580-4490.
Sports @ the library
Join WIBW’s Terry Blount and Bruce Steinbrock on Saturday afternoon, August 13 from 2:00-4:00 in Marvin Auditorium 101A, as they present a fantasy football strategies program geared to help you dominate your league. Whether you’re experienced, or a rookie, Terry and Bruce will help give you the knowledge you need to navigate your way through your league’s season, including your draft.
The library’s first fantasy football league draft will be Thursday evening, September 1, from 6:00-8:30 in the Hughes Room. There is no fee to join, and no experience is required. All experience levels are welcome, and the winner will take home a prize at the end of the season. Registration is required and can be done at the Red Carpet Desk, by phone at 580-4545, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you there!
Your turn to talk
If you have questions, comments or suggestions for future topics please comment on our blog post or send us an email at email@example.com