Book #1: Mr. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein
Students get to spend the night in the town’s new library designed by famous game maker Luigi Lemoncello. When morning comes, the doors stay locked. The students need to find allies, find clues and solve puzzles to find the hidden escape route!
Book #2: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
In the not-so-distant future the world is a bleak place, but there is a vast online utopia, OASIS, people can plug into. Poverty-stricken Wade dreams of finding three keys that will lead to a fortune. This story includes action, puzzles, nerdy romance and ’80s nostalgia.
Previous 2Book Topeka Reads
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
Think about multiplying your reading experience when you join 2Book Topeka, our community reading initiative. Three times a year everyone in Shawnee County has the opportunity to read two books on a theme. Our winter 2018 theme is adventure and games featuring Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein.
We are a reading community and have come together 11 times in the past to read the same book, talk about it and enjoy events with the Big Read. Think of 2Book Topeka as “big read” times two! We started 2Book Topeka as our community read to meet the demand and enthusiasm generated by the Big Read. For many people the Big Read didn’t happen often enough.
- Feb 2 – Mar 11 | Aech’s Basement: Visit the front gallery of the Alice C. Sabatini Gallery to experience ’80s pop culture and the beginnings of the video gaming subculture. Fans of Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One, now’s your chance to hang out in Aech’s Basement!
- Friday, Feb 2 | 6-9pm — Virtual Reality Experience: Try virtual reality using the library’s Vive rig and explore augmented reality. Sci-fi authors, tech experts and gamers will answer questions about the current state of virtual reality and its potential for the future.
- Sunday, Feb 4 | 3-5:15pm — Hidden Secrets Tour: A tour begins every half hour and lasts 45 minutes. Visit a variety of spaces and see what happens to your books after you drop them in the book return. Leave with insider information. Final tour begins at 4:30pm.
- Saturday, Feb 10 | 2 – 3pm — Share your thoughts during a discussion of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library.
- Sunday, Feb 18 | 1 – 5pm — Games of the ’80s: Ready Player One and Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library both love the games of the ’80s and so do we. Have a totally rad time playing board games, video games and trivia! Dress up if you like. Gnarly.
- Friday, Feb 23 | 6:30-9pm OR Saturday, Feb 24 | 3-5:30pm — All ’80s Trivia at your library: Celebrate 2Book Topeka with pop culture questions on movies, music, video games, history and more from the 1980s! Enter as a team of 5-8 to answer 100 questions from 10 categories. Prizes will be awarded to the top trivia teams!
- Friday, March 9 | 6:30-8:30pm — Learn to Play Dungeons and Dragons. Build worlds, tell stories and be a part of geek culture stretching back decades! Roll dice and advance your character through an adventure cooperating with other players ages 12+.
- Saturday, March 10 | 10:30am – Noon — Escape from the Library: Inspired by Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library, this super-sleuthing event is designed for eagle-eyed kids with attention to detail—or anyone who just likes good fun. Experience physical, mental and even virtual reality challenges in this wild and wacky adventure that ends in a great library escape!
- Wednesday, March 14 | 7 – 8:30pm —Discuss your thoughts on Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
- Wednesday, March 21 | 12:30-3:30pm — Giant Games: Just like the kids in Mr. Lemoncello’s library, our larger-than life and one-minute games will have you laughing, puzzling and problem-solving. Drop by and rediscover old favorites and try out new games.
- Sunday, March 25 | 2-3:30pm — Examine both 2Book Topeka books. We encourage adults to pair up with kids and teens for a fun chat on common themes and favorite characters.
Help us plan future 2Book Topeka Reads
If you have suggestions for a future 2Book Topeka book or two books around a theme, let us know.